Adjusting Gas Springs/Struts

Old 09-16-22, 08:13 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Adjusting Gas Springs/Struts

I recently built a garbage can storage shed with a lift-up roof that is controlled with 2 gas springs. I bought the springs from a company that had a calculator - you enter all the data (dimensions/weight/angles/etc) and it makes a recommendation for which struts to buy and placement of hardware for install.

After install, they were a little stiff and the roof wouldn't stay shut. Per the manufacturer, I followed their steps of releasing some of the gas, which worked fine and now I can close it. The only issue is now when I close it, it opens up just a tiny bit. See the photo below.

Having not worked with struts before, my question is do I need to continue to let more pressure out to ensure the lid closes all the way? Or should I make adjustments to the spring mounts either on the roof or the side of the shed? I just don't want to end up letting out too much gas and then having issues with getting the roof open.

Old 09-16-22, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,983 Upvotes on 3,575 Posts
I never heard of letting air out of those cartridges.
They've always been one shot.... works correctly or does not.

They are only supposed to assist in the opening.... not causing the door to open by itself.
The mounting location of the cleat on the cover changes the opening balance.
It would experimental in which way moving the cleat would help.
The farther from the hinge point the more the weight on the cartridge.

Old 09-16-22, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
Try locating the attachment point on the wall of the shed higher, closer to the lid. This will reduce it's mechanical advantage as the lid closes but have little affect when the lid is mostly open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: