Lean to off of shed

Old 04-21-23, 04:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lean to off of shed

I have a smaller 14’x8’ shed with a roof that has only 2 sides. From the bottom of the eave to the ground is 102”. I want to place my cabbed tractor under a lean too coming for the shed. The tractor is around 82”.

i want the new roof to come out 10’. I live in New England and get a bit of snow. Would 2x4 rafters be sufficient 16” on center or closer? The height is pretty tight with tractor and pitch.

Old 04-21-23, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,940 Upvotes on 1,742 Posts
I don't know what your snow load might be but 2x4s will not do it. Best guess according to this table would mean you will likely need #2/btr 2x6x10's that are 12" on center, especially since you will likely end up with a minimum 2:12 pitch that is going to hold snow. You will want to put ice and water shield over the entire roof deck prior to roofing it.

If you would include a photo we could give better advice. From what I am imagining, you likely should not attach under your eves, you should remove your fascia and get those new rafters up onto the top plate. That will gain you some height and you can better incorporate the new roof into the old roofline with flashing as needed. And you're going to need a beam in front that the rafters will butt into (in hangers).

Old 04-21-23, 05:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I’ll get the photo tomorrow for everyone. I was planning on using metal roofing as it’s cheaper but if I would need to build on top of the roof I would need to continue the shingle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: