How short is too short for a lean-to?

Old 04-18-24, 10:25 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post How short is too short for a lean-to?

Hey everyone!
I'm a first time homeowner and am diy-ing everything I can. I'm thoroughly enjoying it!
I currently have a 10x16 shed with a lean-to already on one side (see pictures). I didn't build the current lean-to lol But I am wanting to build a lean-to on the back of the shed to hold lawn tools etc. The measurements I have to work with are 4ft wide (if I go any wider it'll drain water on my neighbors fence) 8-10ft long and 8ft 7inches in height.
I want to be able to walk underneath comfortably. So, will want at least 6ft or 6.5ft high.
I'm wondering if the pitch of the roof will be too drastic to where it'll look stupid etc. Or should I keep it the same pitch as the other lean-to to make it look more uniform. If I go this route, will the dimensions that I have work for that?
Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any advice on the situation. Thank you all SO much!

This is the area I was to build the second lean-to

Current lean-to (I didn't build it)

Old 04-18-24, 11:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Does the current addition to the shed work well? no leaks where it attaches? If so, why not more/less duplicate in on the other side.

Old 04-18-24, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
If you don't want it to look stupid I would mirror what is already there. So as a first choice I'd match the pitch of the existing addition. As a second choice I'd match the shed's roof pitch. I would not introduce a third pitch into the mix.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 04:30 AM
B
Received 315 Upvotes on 278 Posts
A 4 foot width is not much room so a new lean-to roof construction and finishing will be a challenge. My concern is if there is enough room at the ground beyond the new lean-to roof drip point and the fence to carry the rain water away from the shed floor (construction unkown). In the first photo the grade appears to slope left to right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: