Color Year Round (bushes or flowers)

Old 03-03-16, 11:23 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Color Year Round (bushes or flowers)

My wife and I planted bougainvillea and azalea last year. They have bloomed beautifully. She has fallen in love with her yard. I was never into gardening until this year's results. We also have hydrangea but those only blooms for about 5 months.

We are looking for more bushes or flowers that are year round colorful (not evergreen). What other options do we have out there that will not lift pavers or destroy concrete walls? I know that bougainvillea if left unmonitored, it can be invasive. I intend to keep ours only up to 5 feet tall by pruning and hedging them.

I was looking into Blood Japanese Maple and October Autumn Maple. However, these are trees and we are not looking for trees.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 12:15 AM
Also, does anyone know what this is? I went to the nursery and they told me that it is "million bells". Are they year round color?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wy22lsxnl...QY3XFP9_a?dl=0

Old 03-04-16, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
We have nandinas next to our front porch and they keep their leaves [mixture of reds/greens] all year long. I would think your local nursery would be the best source of info about what will work for you in your locale.

Old 03-04-16, 04:31 PM
My mom has nandinas in her yard. When I was a kid, I used to use the berries for my slingshot.

I found Begonia flowers at the blue box store today. I am sure my wife will love them. I am not sure if they are year round but I read that they will have blooms for 6 months.

I just pulled out a whole row of Mr. Lincoln red roses. Kind of a waste but they were getting really out of control since we did not put the weed controller screen down. If I put roses back in, we may do https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/ingrid-bergman since I read that they have very long blooms too.

Thanks

Old 03-13-16, 04:51 PM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
It does not bloom but Cryptomeria Elegans is interesting. A shrub that turns red/purple in cold weather and people ask...."Is that dying". Prune it hard in spring to keep it small.

Old 03-13-16, 05:54 PM
Thanks, we also found geranium which is year round bloom also.