Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Newbie question about trimming tree branches

Old 06-09-16, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

The spiky leaves of this tree are hanging down a little more than I'd like, it gets in the way while mowing. Can I just cut these branches down or is there anything to know first? I don't want to inadvertently kill the tree or screw up growth.

Name:  20160608_193745.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  49.8 KB

Old 06-10-16, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ideally you prune in the fall/winter but generally it's not big deal to do minor pruning any time of the year. I'd go ahead and trim them now, just try to make clean cuts.

Old 06-10-16, 08:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I do nusence pruning as needed but try to save the major stuff for winter. There are numerous websites with diagrams and pictures of how to prune. If cutting off branches part way along their length you can get away with cutting them anywhere but if cutting off a branch close to the main trunk you want to make is properly so the tree can grow over the cut.

Old 06-11-16, 04:48 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Pruning

I use a tool similar to this and cut anything I can reach with the tool while standing on the ground:

Shop Fiskars 28-in Steel Compound Bypass Lopper at Lowes.com

Cut just outboard of a twig. The twig will grow and the cut will be hardly noticeable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: