Boxwood Hedge

Old 06-17-16, 09:17 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Boxwood Hedge

I would like to plant a Boxwood hedge along the west-facing wall of my garage in western PA. I would like to keep it <3 feet tall. Is there a certain variety of Boxwood that I should look for? When would be the best time to plant?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-16, 11:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Planting while they are dormant puts less stress on the plant to compete for water and nutrients, but you can get them at a nursery almost any time. One word of caution, shrubbery will grow out as far as it will grow up, so be sure to give the plant no less than a 3' clearance from the building to keep it from growing against it and causing potential moisture problems.

Old 06-21-16, 07:15 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
psustang89,

I don't know much about the different Boxwood species but I do have 8 Korean Boxwood shrubs that are in direct sun and have thrived in the poorest of soil. They're probably 6-8 years old now.
Four are planted a couple of feet from my basement foundation and the other four are planted 3 feet away from the Southern-facing wall of my outside garage.

The only thing they've required is periodic trimming to keep the desired shape and to allow for air circulation for the basement wall.
Deer don't seem to like them and I've never found insect pests attracted to them either.

greynold99

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: