Is this disease or pests on my Maples?

Old 08-02-16, 08:27 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this disease or pests on my Maples?

I was out lopping low hanging limbs today at my mother's house, and I noticed The bottom two-thirds of at least two of my maples has this straight line running up it, as if it is trying to split in half. I am afraid that I am going to have to cut down a couple or few trees. The limbs are strong, yet hanging way down. I have no idea how long this has been happening. But if you don't mind, please let me know what this is. I cannot seem to have any luck on Google. Drawing a blank on better search terms.

I can't get the pics to upload, and a google photos link will not work either. Hopefully the vid link works. Thank you all for looking.
https://youtu.be/8xPXb1IihZ0

Old 08-02-16, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Google the words "bark splitting". You will find that there are multiple reasons for the problem on trees with naturally thin bark... most of which are not something that can be predicted or controlled. The biggest danger is pests entering the wound before it heals itself.

About the only thing that a human could do to CAUSE the problem is over trimming that could cause a sun scald... otherwise it usually has to do with factors beyond our control that have caused a growth spurt.... excessive rain after prolonged drought, late freeze etc.

Old 08-02-16, 08:51 PM
N
Thank you very much. If I need more advice... I will post and bump.

Patrick

Old 08-05-16, 05:01 PM
N
So I have read and gone through quite a bit of information. i see that this is quite common on maple trees, and I reckon this is happening in the winter months. During the summer, very little sunlight reaches the ground in the front yard. Weird though, as we don't have that bad of winters here in Nashville.
One thing that I was unable to find was what to do with all of the limbs that don't have any foliage on them. Should i cut them? We are talking thirty feet high, and a lot of limbs. Or should I just leave things alone and see how they do next year?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: