Framing a herb planter with PT lumber

Old 02-23-17, 03:44 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Framing a herb planter with PT lumber

I am planning on building a rectangular wood frame consisting of pressure treated 4X4 lumber.

The frame will then be filled with top soil for planting herbs.

One concern is whether it is safe to consume plants grown near pressure treated lumber.

My search turned up many articles and warnings about toxins leaching out from PT lumber.

and just as many articles saying the opposite, that the new pressure treated wood produced today contains nothing that is harmful.

Thoughts and comments? Safe to use?

Old 02-23-17, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Older PT lumber contained cupric arsenate, which was, in its own rite was a poison, although you may have to consume more than a mouthful to get sick. I did feel odd after loading a truck load of decking materials back then when I didn't use gloves, so there was possibly some merit to it. Just by the name, I wouldn't want to ingest it.

Nowadays the treatment is Alkaline Copper Quanternary (you can google it), or ACQ. The primary components of ACQ are copper, didecyl dimethyl ammonium carbonate,
2-methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one, and 5-chloro-2- methyl-4-isothiazolin-3-one. This article goes into some detail if you wish to read it. http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/acqwood.pdf

Old 02-23-17, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It's currently considered safe. I say currently because at one time CCA was considered safe for kids to play on. DDT and 2-4-D were once considered safe. The way things work nowadays, you never know.

Old 02-23-17, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, my grandfather milked his own cows, drank raw milk and churned butter milk all his life. Doctors told him it would kill him. It did.......he was 93.

Old 02-24-17, 05:56 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you are of an "organics" mindset you won't want that in contact with the soil even if it's considered safe. At least line the sides with pond liner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: