Keeping animals out of the garden?

Old 07-13-17, 05:31 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keeping animals out of the garden?

We have a garden in our backyard that has among other things strawberries and blue berries. Of course we never get any because the critters eat first. Not that I am necessarily against feeding the animals but I would love to get some for our family.

We have chicken wire around the entire garden that's about 48" high but some of the critters get through the holes. I am looking for any ideas on the best way to close off the garden to the outside world.

We have the deer at bay but smaller animals like chipmunks need to be kept out!
Any help appreciated.

Old 07-13-17, 06:10 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A quote from George Forman comes to mind. How do you get a rabbit out of a cabbage patch? Get rid of the cabbage.

How about a little green house?

Old 07-13-17, 09:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Especially for blueberries and even for strawberries you'll need to totally enclose them. A fence to keep out ground animals like opossum and raccoons and netting to keep the birds away.

Old 07-13-17, 10:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I keep squirrels out of my daughter's flowers by sprinkling crushed red pepper flakes around them. Have to reapply after it rains, though.

Old 07-13-17, 02:20 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I keep squirrels out of my daughter's flowers by sprinkling crushed red pepper flakes around them.
That is a great example of a natural repellent , of which there are many. Of course, they can't be patented & therefore can't be sold for millions. The same thing exists for natural remedies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: