Which is the best wedge shape?

Old 09-16-17, 04:59 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Which is the best wedge shape?

I'm in need of a new splitting wedge. With some variances they come in two shapes: the traditional triangle with a square head and the so-called diamond shape. Does either shape work any better than the other?

Old 09-21-17, 02:16 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The diamond shape is intended to be placed in the center of the log. I prefer the triangle one. Works for any diameter log.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 09-21-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-21-17, 11:30 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also prefer traditional wedges. I have three old wedges (two 5-lb. tapered and a 5-lb. vee) handed down from my Dad and can split just about any size round with an 8-lb. sledge.

However, I also tried one of those diamond-shaped wedges (AKA "wood grenade") and it worked pretty well. As Wirepuller38 mentioned, you place it in the center of the log and start pounding. The pointy tip didn't require much force to start. Despite the premise, it doesn't quarter the wood, though. Most of the time, it just splits it in half.

Regardless, if I had to replace one of my wedges, I'd probably get an Estwing E-5 Sure Split. I know a few people using them and I hear good things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: