Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Texas Sage Plants in Arizona - How Much Water - Irrigation System

Old 11-23-17, 03:11 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

For an every day schedule, how many GPH head should I put on this plant.

For an every other day schedule, how many GPH head should I put...

or, how much water does this thing need.. :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-17, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
It's not just a matter of GPH from the head but also how long that zone will be on.

Looking online it seems Texas Sage bushes are very drought tolerant and like dry, well drained soil. You should consider watering much less frequently than once a day after the plant is established. Plants like that are normally chosen so you can get away from frequent watering and might even do well without artificial watering.

Old 11-24-17, 07:58 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I live in Phoenix. I got tired of fixing the irrigation system in my yard. So when the last of my plants died off, I planted just three shrubs in my front yard: Mexican Bird of Paradise, Pink Lantana, and the Texas Sage. Like Pilot Dane says, very drought resistant. I still have my literature from the nursery at home. It says for established Texas Sage plants water every two to three weeks in the summer and once a month in winter

Of course without any supplemental watering other than the scant rainfall in Phoenix, these plants won't bloom very often and might look a little ragged. But they should still survive. I don't worry about my Texas Sage. I hand water it when it strikes my fancy. And if I don't water it at all for a couple months, no big deal. No need for me to ever use plant irrigation again in my yard

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 11-24-17 at 08:30 PM.