Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Watering for newly painted October Glory Red Maple

Old 09-24-18, 03:58 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

Hi All, We just had a rather large Red Maple tree planted whcih is about 18 feet tall with a trunk dia. of about 4-1/2 inches. All went well with the profesional installation and since the root ball was so big and cumbersome it is where it's at and there it is gonna stay....LOL. So I guess it's not the time to worry about if all the right things (hole size.....fertilizer....mulch...etc...etc) were done when planting it. As mentioned, it was professionally done so i'm assuming all the boxes of a proper planting were checked off. So now we need to know how often to water it. I know with heavy clay soil low & slow is key in watering a large tree, but am looking for opions on how often and for how long. We are getting into the cooler season here in the mid-west so hopefully hot dry days will not be in abundance, Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-08-18, 06:35 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Did the installer give you watering/fertilizing instructions ? If not....ask.

The roots need to be kept damp. You are on the right track. Long, slow, deep irrigation. But not too frequently. Was this in a lawn ? During hot weather....buy a hollow soil tube sampler, with a T handle. Check down to 1 foot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: