Germinating Cactus Seeds

Old 06-06-19, 10:23 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Germinating Cactus Seeds

Hey everyone! I am trying my hand at gardening and I thought it would be awesome to grow some cacti. I want a few for myself and I thought I could give the others as gifts. However, I am having a HELL of a time with them even popping up out of the dirt. I have even gotten a heat mat, set it to 85 degrees, I mist the dirt 2 times a day and a sun lamp that shines on the seed starter dome 12 hours a day. I've been growing some other things. Mint and cacti are the only things kicking my butt Any tips I should know or anything that I am doing wrong?

Old 06-06-19, 11:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
What specifically did you plant?
How long have the seeds been in the ground?

Some cactus can take a long time to germinate. The ones I did took about a month to break ground but my temps were lower.

If you have nothing else growing you can forget the grow light. All seeds care about is moisture and temperature. They have to get above ground before they even know there is a light up there.

Old 06-06-19, 12:33 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wish I could say what they were, lol. I bought a Outsidepride Succulent Cactus Plant Seed Mix - 1000 seeds pack from Amazon. Is keeping around 75-85 degrees and misting twice a day the right thing to do?

Old 06-06-19, 02:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would follow the directions on the seed packet.

How deep did you plant the seeds? I looked up that description on Amazon and reviewers said the seeds are like poppy seeds which are very small. Generally seeds like that need to be very close to the surface.

Cacti are fun to grow. My parents still have one that I started from seed 45 years ago.

jaxongamer voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: