Japanese Beetles

Old 07-24-19, 07:44 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Japanese Beetles

I recently planted a grape vine in our garden with the hopes that we can eventually harvest grapes from it for various uses. However, while the vine is growing really nicely and has at least tripled in size since we planted it, the problem is that Japanese beetles are eating all of the leaves leaving just the skeletal structure of the leaf.

I'd rather not spray pesticides on it since ultimately we want to eat the fruit it provides, as well as the potential for any pesticide to also get into the vegetables we plan to grow in the garden as well. Obviously we would wash anything, but still, I'd rather avoid using them. Manually removing them is simply not going to work, I'd have to be up there every day getting rid of them. I have removed them manually a couple times, an hour later more are on there. Not going to work long term.

I have read that using a pyrethrin based insecticide is safe to use around grapes, vegetables etc. (anyone used it?) so that should help to get rid of the ones on the plants. Then I should look into prevention, the simplest and cheapest option seems to be spraying a dishwashing solution on the soil. Is that effective? Other options, although expensive appear to be Milky Spore and Nematodes. But, if the dishwashing solution works, then I'll start with that when the time is right.

Thanks.

Old 07-24-19, 08:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Pyrethrin is an insecticide but it is generally considered to be one of the safer pesticides. It breaks down more quickly than most so it's doesn't offer long term protection like other pesticides.

Dish soap in the soil is only effective when they are in the grub stage in the ground so it's more a preventive treatment. After they've emerged and chewing on your plants it has no affect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: