Started seeds too early

Old 04-28-23, 09:15 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Started seeds too early

We had a milder winter this year ( New England) and I sowed seeds as soon as winter was over. No frost, but night temp went to 40s a couple of days.

I am worried if the seeds would germinate or if I should sow fresh set of seeds
seeds I sowed are -
Corn
Bean
Zuchhini
Butternut squash
Cucumber
spinach

I also sowed onion bulbs and those are already coming out nicely

Old 04-28-23, 09:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If they are in the ground just leave them. Mother Nature will tell them when to germinate.

Don't forget, plants have been doing just fine without our help for a very long time.

Old 04-28-23, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Beans will rot in the ground if the ground is too cold and never come up. So those you will definitely need to replant once the ground temp is >60F. And cucumber, squash and zucchini can get bugs in the seeds, so you might need to replant them too. Plus they also need warm soil... no point in planting any of the above until mid may. But you can start squash and cukes in pots inside.

Corn and spinach should be fine, it will come up when conditions are right unless it was planted too deep or if it germinated and froze.

Old 05-02-23, 10:28 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Spinach OK. Get a $5 meat thermometer that shows 32 to 100+ with a dial face and 3 inch probe. Push down 3 inches ......and plant the rest of your seeds when it reads 70 degrees or better. Found mine buried in box bed. It is a Taylor 6092L......0-220 deg with a 5 inch probe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: