Gas Heater - how to convert from mechanical to digital thermostat

Old 01-15-18, 12:29 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Heater - how to convert from mechanical to digital thermostat

Even though it was still working, I decided to convert my Dayton Gas Heater (ceiling mount) 75K BTU from an old mechanical thermostat (two wire - red/white) to a new digital programmable one. I purchased a Honeywell Programmable Thermostat RHT2300B which said it was compatible with forced air - gas. The Instruction manual is less than helpful - telling me to label wires from the old thermostat connection plate (G - W - Y - O/B, RC, and R) and wire them to the matching labeled connections.

Guess what? Even though the old thermostat wire is Red and White - it could just have easily been black and white - do I use those colors to go by? BTW, I called the "Support" line at Honeywell and after going through "Phone Menu Hell," I eventually reached the "talk to a human" choice at which point it said, "All our technical support personnel are busy, call back later," and hung up on me. Thanks Honeywell.

Do I connect my existing red and white wires from the gas heater to the R and W terminals on the new digital backplate - will that work?

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-18, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since there is no polarity with a two wire system.... connect either to R and W.
I would leave the R-Rc jumper in place.

Old 01-16-18, 08:20 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate your quick response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: