Infrared or Blue Flame

Old 11-07-16, 01:18 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Infrared or Blue Flame

I have an old house that doesn't have any insulation in the walls. As a result in northern Ohio the bathroom which is upstairs gets pretty chilly.
I finally got around to unplugging and cracking the valve on a pipe along a wall in my bathroom, and was excited to find that it is a natural gas line. So I would like to get a small natural gas heater so that we can have a warm room in the mornings. Is it better to have an infrared or blue flame heater?

As I understand the infrared projects heat to objects in am ore direct way like sunlight. Would this be harmful to the vanity on the opposite wall [The width of the room is about 7 feet]?

I also understand that blue flame is more of a convection heat, so it would essentially het the air first and the hot air would work its way through the room fromt he top down. Would this mean that my shower's exhaust fan would just blow out the warm air?

I am poting a link to the heaters I am looking to buy.
12,000 BTU Vent Free Infrared;
https://www.menards.com/main/heating...70752289872549

10,BTU Vent Free Blue Flame
https://www.menards.com/main/heating...91491542406617

Also, my room isa bout 13' by 7' so thats about 91SQF

Any suggestions?

Last question, am I posting this in the correct location? I didn't see a in the house gas heater section.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-16, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
First check into your codes. It's my belief that an unvented gas heater is not permitted in a bathroom.

Old 11-07-16, 03:53 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can do that. I would think that a vent free heater would not be classified as an unvented being that it is designed to operate without venting, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to learn more. Where do you find these kinds of regulations?

Old 11-08-16, 05:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Vent free (no vent) and unvented (no vent) are synonyms (the words mean the same thing).

Old 11-09-16, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In my view and experience as a gas furnace repairman and gas utility repairman, it is a mistake tyo install unvented gas heating equipment in a house. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is significant, and I've packed out quite a few people with CO poisoning to hospitals from defective equipment of various kinds.

In theory, if EVERY PERSON who uses unvented equipment, READS, UNDERSTANDS and FOLLOWS ALL the manufacturer's warnings in the installation manual, unvented equipment can be operated safely. However, I've never met a single person who has done that, let alone everyone who might use the equipment.

Also, I'd be cautious about installing radiant heaters, which can easily start fires, and in any case don't really provide very satisfactory heat.

The best idea would be to extend whatever central heating you have to the bathroom! That might be cheap if you can DIY and provide high quality heating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: