Ran Samsung dryer without filter by accident

Old 09-05-13, 05:36 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ran Samsung dryer without filter by accident

Totally my fault. I ran a load of clothes through my front load gas Samsung dryer today without the lint filter.

One load. First time. About halfway through, I hear some clunks and it totally stops. That's when I realized it. I first hoped the lint filter clogged but then I realized when I tried to start it, it tried to tumble a few times but it's having trouble turning (you can hear the motor struggling to try and rotate the drum). I immediately shut it off.

There were some small, thin clothes in there (socks and undergarments) so is my best assumption that a small piece was sucked into the blower wheel through the front lint catch area and is now tangled up?

The dryer is hooked up via gas so unlike other appliances I'm not as excited to mess with it. But I can turn off the whole-house gas at the emergency value to be safe so I still would try it if anyone has a fix process.

Is this a fix that is doable by a novice who never worked on a dryer (gas or otherwise) before?

I feel so stupid.

Old 09-05-13, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You have something stuck in blower wheel. Not to hard to do but will have to take front of dryer off. If you feel up to it will give directions but will have to wait till tomorrow late , Going out of town. PJmax may be able to help. Don't have to mess with gas will not go that far into it.
here is a Quick run down.
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
1 remove 2 10mm bolts in top back, top slide back and lifts off, May feel like stuck and I use rubber work gloves to get grip.
2 Console may or not have some screws holding it in. console will lift off, may have to pop it off rail behind console. If type with 2 or 3 wire connectors I unplug them and get console out of way, If type with control board in left side with a bunch of wires I just fold it up on top.
3 or 4 screws in front panel holding it on and open door 2 screws in lint chute.
4 lean forward and unplug door switch
5 front should lift off.
6 3 screws holding lint chute on will slide down and off. Should be able to remove items now.

Old 09-05-13, 07:00 PM
B
Thank you so much, this is a great start - If you have any more detail when you get time feel free to share. Never took one apart before. Getting behind it was gonna be tough so if all the work is from the front side or above I should be ok.

I'll see what I can get to, the sliding off of the top and console sounds like the trickiest part.

Old 09-05-13, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You didn't leave the model number so I'm not sure exactly which style you have but they are very similar with some screw quantities and locations being slightly different.

In the link below you'll see the dis-assembly of one popular style. At 2:30 into the video you'll see the silver blower housing. There will be several screws holding that silver cover on. Your stuck item should be behind that cover.

Samsung Dryer Repair - YouTube

Old 09-06-13, 07:33 AM
B
I just have to tell you guys...THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Probably the best DIY experience I ever had working on something I had not taken apart before. Your instructions were perfect, and the offending sock has been removed from the wheel!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I love the satisfaction of doing it myself and not paying for repairs especially when it was my fault to start with.

B.

Old 09-07-13, 02:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the reply we like hearing from people we help.

Old 03-08-15, 06:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Clearly Samsungs are prone to this because i literally ran one load with out the lint trap in and i thought i had ruined the machine... I had to register for this site just to say thanks for this thread... I thought i was out $1200 for a new dryer all it took was taking out 8 screws and wiggling some tabs ... blower had dryer sheets knotted up in it. Thanks Again looking forward to using this site or more projects and fixes

Old 03-09-15, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This is why the post zre searchable. Glad to know we helped.

Old 09-13-15, 10:05 AM
F
Thank you so much for the DYI. It literally saved me $1.5k! My wife ran the Samsung drier without a lint screen and the unit got stuck. I had to register just to say THANKS!

Old 09-13-15, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You are very welcome.

DIY is one of the top sites for help as all these threads are maintained in a searchable archive.

Old 12-10-16, 11:27 AM
N
Thanks

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving I just fixed up my dryer. It took me about an hour and saved me a couple hundred bucks. Glad to see there are more people who fixed the issue as well!

I feel like they should make a sensor that doesn't allow the dryer to run without the filter inside.

Old 10-17-18, 11:32 AM
X
I forgot the filter yesterday and my Samsung dryer stops working. All the info above is very helpful. But my model has the console over the top and it confuses me a bit how should I take of the top. My model# is DV422GWHDWR/AA. Will someone give some suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Old 10-17-18, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2or 3 screws in back top. Top slides back, may be hard to slide a pair of rubber gloves will help.and push hard if stuck. Some slide right off. Some of them have 1 or 2 connections and some have many the one with many I try to put off to side best I can.

Old 10-20-18, 09:42 AM
X
Thanks for the directions. We took the dryer apart, but could not find any socks. We put it back together and it start working. However, it makes all kinds of weird noises. What could it be?

Old 10-20-18, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you take the front panel or chute covering the blower" That is where you will find sock or whatever. I have found many things in blower on that model.

Old 10-20-18, 02:16 PM
X
Yes, we did. But we could not find anything there. We did clean inside and the dryer is working now. Many thanks for the help. It is very helpful.

Old 10-12-20, 06:14 PM
C
Thank you so much!

I ran into this same problem and I'm so thankful I found this thread. I created an account just because I needed to thank you. Your instructions were perfect.pugsl, you are a lifesaver!

Old 10-12-20, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you we really appreciate the thanks.

Old 10-24-21, 08:27 AM
M
Your advice is still solid 8 yrs later

Thank you PjMax. I ran my drying for 2 seconds last night without the lint trap and it swallowed a sock. After an hour of pouring over the user manual that was useless, I googled and came across your post. Thank you for taking the time to give advice - I am guessing. You have helped countless people over the past several years.

Old 04-03-23, 04:23 PM
D
Clarification on Model DV42H5200GP

I'm so grateful for a potential solution to our problem! We have a Samsung Model DV42H5200GP. It's currently set up as a stackable and the dryer is on top. Also, there is a cabinet above the dryer so access to the top is limited unless we pull it down. So just trying to clarify if we can get to the blower from the front or if we're going to need to access the top/or back part of the top so we know how to proceed to see if this does in fact fix our problem. Thanks so so much!

I decided to reach down where the lint trap goes and feel around. I can pull part of a washcloth type thing out. So far I can't get it to totally release but wanted to see if there are any additional tips with this new info. Really hoping not to have to pull the dryer down (or even worse get it back on top of the washer. Lol)

Last edited by DebDogMom; 04-03-23 at 04:39 PM. Reason: I
Old 04-03-23, 04:59 PM
D
We were able to pull out the offending object and the dryer is working again! Thank you all for the insight!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: