Faint gas odor emitting from range top area

Old 07-09-16, 08:06 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Faint gas odor emitting from range top area

For a couple of days now, I've noticed a faint gas odor coming from the most used burner on our range. The stove is a gas standalone whirlpool gold double convection oven. It's literally 9 days out of warranty. ��

Today it got worse. I've shut off the valve for good measure but was wondering if anyone had any advice they could pass along? I've on the intermediate side of handy work. Basically, I need someone to point me in the right direction and I could take it from there.

Anything helps!!!

Thanks.

Old 07-10-16, 06:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Kris. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you suspect the gas is only coming from one top burner, remove that burner and apply to your finger a drop of dish soap. Then apply soap to end (tip) of orifice. A bubble or bubbles may appear.

Orifice is that brass or bronze hex head nut burner tube is slid onto. Be advise if tiny leak is noticed it may take more then one time to apply soap correctly and be sure it covers the hole on the orifice fully. And may take a few minutes for any bubble to appear depending upon application and volume of gas leaking.

Above only to locate the leak based upon info provided. Once you repost if leak is located only at that one burner, a possible solution can be provided.

Old 07-10-16, 09:31 AM
K
Ok, so nothing detected with the AP leak detector. However, I just noticed as I was getting close to the burner to look, the smell is actually coming from the front part of the range, near where the burner knives are located? Could it be a faulty burner valve?

Old 07-10-16, 09:43 AM
K
Found the culprit!! No clue how something this new came loose at those threadings.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  47.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-10-16 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added circle to pic
Old 07-10-16, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Nice find.... good repair.

Probably not tightened correctly by the manufacturer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: