Oven door won't close tightly

Old 02-11-17, 08:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven door won't close tightly

I have a very old, but functional Crown stove. It has two ovens, side by side. Each one has a problem. One won't light (I started a different thread about that one), while the other has a door that won't close tightly. As a result, a lot of heat escapes and food does not cook evenly. I can't use the other oven because it won't light.

I tried to see what the problem might be, but with no luck. I don't think the door is the type to pull up and out. I looked under the oven for screws or something to remove the door, but couldn't see anything there either. I have no idea how to even check for what the problem is let alone fix it.

I don't have a manual for the stove and can't find any information anywhere on the internet.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 02-11-17, 09:52 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Can you post a picture of your stove. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html You might also look here and see if you see your stove: https://www.google.com/search?as_st=...pe=&as_rights=

Old 02-12-17, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Most stoves, even older ones "pull up and out".
The trick to removing the door is to open it to its first rest position and push towards yourself on the inside bottom of the door while pushing towards the back on the handle.

Old 02-12-17, 10:39 AM
K
Here is a picture of my stove. I had to take a pic since I didn't see any images in Google.
Name:  stove.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  37.3 KB

Old 02-12-17, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I found many of those on eBay. However no one lists a model number so that is of no help.

Those doors should slide off. You open them to the first stop where the door stays by itself.
Then you slide the drawer off in the same direction.
The door may not be particularly light.

It's probably a broken spring or the springs are weak.
This will involve pulling the hinge assembly out to see the spring.

Old 02-12-17, 11:32 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If function is more important than looks you can mount a slide bolt just above the door to hold it in place. You don't even need the receiver. I grew up with a stove my father fixed that way and fixed my own stove that way the second time the springs broke. (The springs get brittle from heat.)

Name:  stove.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 02-12-17, 03:08 PM
K
Unfortunately, the door has two positions: open and closed. There is nothing in between where the door stays open by itself. If you move it to anywhere other than the full open, it will just slam shut.

I'm not sure I want to use the bolt since the oven does work. The springs even work. It's just the the oven door doesn't close quite the whole way. It's maybe 1/4 inch off. Spings might be slightly weaker than on the side where the door closes completely. So, the stove/door is actually functional. It just lets out too much heat and bakes rather unevenly. I'd use the other oven, but that one won't light. (Have another thread on that one.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: