Vintage gas stove question

Old 09-12-17, 04:08 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vintage gas stove question

I have a 1950's era Gurney (Canadian company - manufactured down the street from me in Toronto) gas stove that is having oven issues. The top burners and valves function fine (no leaks, etc.) but the oven never really warmed and leaked gas so after some research I decided to have the thermostat professionally rebuilt - a Wilcolator type C. After installing it, the oven warmed up to about 150F after a half hour of setting the oven to 550 and there was still a faint smell of gas in the air.

Where do I go from here in terms of getting the oven to work?

Old 09-12-17, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It sounds like multiple problems. Is this nat gas or propane ?

You need to check and see what the flame looks like. It should not take a half hour to reach that temperature. If the flame is staying on the entire time then it must be very low.

I'm thinking a low gas pressure problem or a regulator set to low.

Old 09-13-17, 11:47 AM
O
Natural gas. Is the oven burner flame supposed to change size? It does not change regardless of what I set the temp to and faint gas smell is present.

By low gas pressure you mean the service itself or within the oven?

Old 09-13-17, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Normally.... the burner shuts off leaving the pilot running when up to temperature.
On some older ranges.... the flame would reduce in size when the set temperature was reached.

By low gas pressure you mean the service itself or within the oven?
Either or. Low gas pressure will result in a reduced flame size.

Old 09-13-17, 01:43 PM
O
Where is the pilot? When I turn on the oven, I have to physically ignite the gas at the burner with a flame from a small hole in the bottom front of the oven or if that doesnt work (sometimes doesnt) I stick a long match through some openings and ignite the burner directly.

The main service gas I dont think is low because I had had multiple cooktop burners at the same time in the winter while my furnace was running with no issues.

Old 09-13-17, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
If you feel the gas pressure is ok then that leaves a defective thermostat or clogged orifice in the burner.

On some older ranges.... the flame would reduce in size when the set temperature was reached.
That appears to be what you have. Since the temperature doesn't go over 150f... it probably won't switch over to a low flame.

Old 09-13-17, 03:18 PM
O
Im just wondering about the gas smell..where could that be coming from. Only smells when I activate the oven.

Regarding the pilot..theres a pilot flame on this range thats on 24/7 to automatically light the cooktop burners when theyre turned on but nothing on the oven.

Old 09-13-17, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
I can only offer you limited help with your gas stove. It's basically before my time and it's a manufacturer that I have not seen before.

A gas smell only when the oven is on.... can come from the burner connection at the valve, the valve itself, the burner itself or from a poor flame. The flame needs to be mostly blue with occasional orange flashes or flame tips ok.

This video show what I consider a healthy flame. The orange splotches in the flame are from dust and rust burning in the flame.

you tube/watch?v=CBrHq00wYKc

Feel free to post pictures here of anything that is helpful..... like the burner when running. Follow the attach instructions in the red box.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 09-25-17, 05:05 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Have you removed the burner orifice to check for spider nest . Also you should have a "standby" pilot if this is a match lit oven. The minimum flame and the pilot must be adjusted for safe operation

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: