Cleaning Porcelain-Coated Grill Grates?

Old 05-07-23, 09:17 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Cleaning Porcelain-Coated Grill Grates?

Hi All,

I have a 2-year-old Monument grill that came with porcelain-coated/enameled (is there a difference?) cast iron grates. I am opening up the grill for the season, and the grates have a lot of rust on them.

I have several cast iron pans, so I know how to season and keep those (including stripping them entirely in self-cleaning oven and re-seasoning them).

But - I don't know if the porcelain is thick enough so that I can't treat these grates as cast iron. I always imagined that the grates would sort of have been dipped in porcelain so that they are fully covered, but maybe its only an extremely thin amount that wears away after a year or so?

So - any thoughts on what I can do to get these grates in better shape? Can I simply strip them in self-cleaning oven and re-season them? (But what about the porcelain coating?) And - what's the best way to maintain them? (E.g., type of brush, etc.) For my cast iron pans, I usually use just paper towel and water, sometimes a silicone brush I have, or chain mail. (Sometimes with soap, sometimes without soap.)

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-07-23, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's pretty quick for the grates to have rusted that fast.
If these are the grates you cook on... you're limited to what you do.
What model do you have ?
Monument grills

I was checking on the warranty and it looks like only one year covering the grates.
If you bought it the Depot they have a satisfaction guaranteed policy which may be helpful.

Old 05-07-23, 01:32 PM
O
Hi PJ,

It was Model 13892. On Monument's site, it says steel grates, but HomeDepot says "Heavy duty porcelain cast iron cooking grids", and mine are definitely not silvery.

(yes, its the grates that you cook directly on.)

Any thoughts what I can do?

Thanks again.

Old 05-10-23, 09:19 PM
O
Hi All,

Just checking in to see if anyone has any thoughts on how to handle porcelain-enameled cast iron grates that have begun rusting.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-23, 06:41 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Once they start to rust all you can do is give them a coat of cooking oil before using.
This will just slow down the process not stop it.
Also never wash them.

A permanent fix is to find a unit which has the same body but uses stainless grills and then buy those grills.
This may be cost prohibitive.
Also make sure that the grills are solid stainless and not just stainless clad.

Old 05-11-23, 07:43 AM
O
Thanks for the advice.

Would it be ok to entirely strip them down to bare cast iron in the 900 degree-ish self cleaning oven, and start seasoning them from there? (This is what I've done with all four of my cast iron pans.) Would the porcelain get in the way? Or is the fact that they are rusting proof that the porcelain has worn away?

Thanks again.

Old 05-11-23, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The grates can/should be replaced once they start to bake through and get rusty.

Example: https://monumentgrills.com/products/...537693b1&_ss=r

Old 05-11-23, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Typically when you buy a BBQ it's available at several price points which can be due to the composition and finish on the grills and grates.

I have a ten year old Weber grill that needed grates. Weber offered the replacements in porcelain and stainless steel. I opted for the stainless steel this time. There were many other companies offering the same replacement parts at half the price or less. They would also have worked but I'm imagining they wouldn't have lasted as long as the OEM's.

There are companies on amazon selling grates based on size.
So you could take your measurements and see what's available.

Old 05-11-23, 12:46 PM
O
Thanks for the advice, all.

If these were just cast iron, I'd strip/re-season them. But looks like I need to get all-new grates. Unfortunately, none of Amazon, Wayfair, or Home Depot seem to carry my size grates in stainless steel (and Monument's website is out of stock). There is one generic cast iron on Amazon that would fit, but I was really hoping for stainless steel.

Anyway, thanks again for advice. At this point, I may just try one of those grill mats that sits on top of the grates.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: