GE oven/broiler not lighting: everything else ok

Old 02-20-16, 04:08 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE oven/broiler not lighting: everything else ok

I have a GE Gas range, model # JGSP30GEP. It's probably 20 yrs old and was working fine until now. Yesterday it started making a low pitch humming noise and now the broiler and oven wont turn on. The noise is similar to a small desk fan running in the background. The noise stops when i unplug the power or the door is opened. Both the oven and broiler have electric ignition. Oh yeah one more thing, on the control panel the "Door" sign has come up. We have never seen that sign before. The oven has self cleaning feature but we have never used that feature yet, not sure if this is related.

The broiler igniter starts to warm and turns red but it shuts down before the flame could start. The 4 burners are working fine. I have included 2 pics to give you an idea of how the controls look like.
What can i do to diagnose the problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_5184.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  35.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5185.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  32.3 KB

Last edited by endeavour; 02-20-16 at 04:41 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 02-20-16, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
That is not the complete model number.

The first thing to do would be to check the oven igniter under the oven floor cover near the burner.

The problem with the broiler is unusual as the igniter should stay on at least a few minutes even if the burner doesn't light. Your problem points to a control/relay board problem.
Does the display show as BROIL active ?

Your slide-in range does have a fan inside of it.

Old 02-20-16, 06:27 PM
E
Thanks PJ. There was a typo in the model #. It should be JGSP31GEP.

I think it has to do with the self cleaning feature. When i plug the power in, the humming starts for a few seconds (without pressing anything) and then the door sign comes on. Looks like the oven is constantly going into self cleaning mode. I checked the manual and it says if the door is not locking the door sign will appear. The troubleshooting step, per the manual, is to press cancel and restart the self cleaning steps (ie press "clean", turn the knob and wait for auto lock). I have tried this but no go, the door sign appears after a few seconds of humming. Looks like the automatic lock is broken, which is a whole different issue for another day. For now I just want the oven to exit out of the self cleaning mode. i wish there was a reset button or something. i tried turning the power off and when i turn back on the humming starts right away, without me pressing the clean button.

Old 02-20-16, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
That motor noise you are hearing could be the locking motor..... not the fan motor.

Old 02-21-16, 06:58 PM
E
I am trying to access the door lock assembly but unable to get the top open. my questions are

1. in order to remove the top (to access the lock assembly) do i need to remove the 4 burners? if so, the small screws (philip head) holding the burners are all rusted, any suggestions on how to get the screws out?

2. in the second picture, i want to be sure its the first section/layer (where the top screw drive is placed) that needs to be removed or is it the second layer (where the lower screw driver is pointed) that should be removed?

Attached Images   
Old 02-21-16, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
That still isn't the complete model number. The complete number is on the ID plate. The model number off the book is the base model.

Usually the screws need to be removed from the burners. Sometimes I drill the screw out and replace them.

In your picture.... the top silver plate (burner cover) comes up. Those pieces on the side are just fillers... as far as I can remember.

Sear's direct has good exploded views that can help you.
GE SLIDE-IN RANGE GAS Parts | Model jgsp31gep1 | Sears PartsDirect

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: