No oven light

Old 04-13-16, 01:27 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
No oven light

GE range model JGB870SEF2SS, serial SD240515P

This range has a double oven (stacked in the space of a normal single oven). The bottom oven light comes on when you open the door but the top one does not. Oven is about 13 months old. I replaced the bulb but the new one does not work either. Both original and new bulbs look good and they are both appliance bulbs.

When bottom oven door opens, I can hear a click from the control panel and the light goes on. Nothing when I open the top door.

What do I do now?

- Peter

Old 04-13-16, 02:15 PM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
There's a switch near the upper left corner of the upper oven that detects when the door is open to turn on the light. (and should be a similar one for the lower oven). Manually activate it (just push the plastic plunger in) and compare the way it feels to the lower switch. I believe the switch just snaps in from the front, so if you have a multi-meter you could turn off the power to the oven, pull out the switch, disconnect one or both wires, and test the switch using the ohms or continuity function of the multimeter. If you don't have a meter, you could try swapping the two switches and see if the problem moves. If it does, replace the switch. If it doesn't, the problem is elsewhere, like the wiring or control board.

Good luck with your project!

Old 04-13-16, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
I moved your thread to the gas appliance forum.

I show that switch part number as #WB24X20445. The upper and lower switches are the same but it looks like with this range.... they aren't snap-in from the front switches. They appear to be microswitches mounted to a sub plate and they don't appear easy to get to.

Name:  ge.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  17.7 KB

Yet.... when I look in another parts catalog.... they show your posted model number as incorrect and using a generic round push-in button.

Name:  gep.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  22.3 KB

Old 04-15-16, 09:17 AM
P
PJmax, your first picture is accurate. That switch plate is mounted behind the oven face and is hard to get to. I will pull up the diagrams and see if I can figure out how it comes out. I do hear a mechanical click at the switch when I push it in. The bottom oven light that does work also sounds like a relay clicking in the control panel that I don't hear on the upper (broken) oven light.

Next steps?

- Peter

Old 04-15-16, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
Next step ? You need to get to the switch to check it.

Here's the link for exploded views of your range. The "body parts" view will show removing the outside cover of the range. The "upper oven" view will show the top oven in detail.

GE GAS RANGE Parts | Model jgb870sef2ss | Sears Parts Direct

Old 04-15-16, 11:29 AM
P
Any chance I can check the switch with a meter at the panel/circuit board? I don't see a wiring diagram to trace it that way but it sure seems a lot easier to put a meter on a wire than to disassemble the majority of the cabinet. It is a killer that the switch is buried in there.

While I am hoping it is just a switch instead of a board, for diagnosing them, I think one is a large time investment and the other is large dollars. Both are lousy options.

- Peter

Old 04-15-16, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
I don't have the wiring diagram for that range. It should be somewhere within the unit. Sometimes on the back, sometimes on a tech sheet under the unit or near the control area.

You may be able to get it from GE directly...

How to Obtain a Wiring Diagram or Schematic from GE

Old 04-15-16, 01:21 PM
C
Received 185 Upvotes on 150 Posts
If you can identify the wires that come from the switches to the control board, you can check them at that end with a meter. Ideally you would disconnect the wires from the board and then check for continuity. One position of the switch should show continuity between the wires and the other position no continuity. If you are seeing that on both switches, then the problem is probably on the board. You can confirm by swapping the connections from the two switches, assuming they are separate connectors of the same type (may be one large connector from a wiring harness to the board). If one switch shows continuity in one position and the other doesn't, then it's the switch, the wiring, or a bad connection.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: