Gas Grill - Broken Hood

Old 07-31-16, 05:38 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Grill - Broken Hood

Hello,

After my gas grill took a tumble off the deck earlier this year the hood was left with the gash pictured below. I checked the gas tank/line, etc before using and all was well. Is it okay to seal this crack with some type of high heat sealant or foam? My goal is to limit heat loss. Thanks

Name:  Grill Hood.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  39.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-16, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I know of no high heat foam that would fix this. I would obtain a piece of metal, say 2" wide and 4" long, drill holes in the metal and the hood, fixing the metal to the hood with stove bolts on either side of the gash, tightening them down to close the gap if possible. It may look better to have the metal on the inside and the bolt heads on the outside.

Old 07-31-16, 06:41 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I suggest you get a piece of stiff aluminum (could use steel but it will rust) shaped to fit behind the cracked area with at least an inch or so overlap past the crack. Clamp it in place and drill through the cover and the plate and pop rivet it all together. The big box stores sell small pieces of aluminum and steel.

Old 07-31-16, 08:22 PM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
You could try some of the high heat resistant epoxies. JB Weld comes to mind. It's good to 400 degrees. But if your grill is being used beyond typical temps that the body is higher than 400 degrees, I'd say your cooking way to hot.

There's also Blu Magic. Good to 2400 degrees.

Blue Magic/QS High temperature metal repair trilingual 18003TRI- ReadReviews onBlue Magic #18003TRI

Most muffler epoxy might work also.

Last edited by Norm201; 07-31-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
What material is the part made out of? You might be able to have somebody weld/braze it together.

Also post the grill maker and model. There are many replacement parts available on the internet.