Gas clother dryer suddenly won't heat

Old 09-12-16, 10:47 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas clother dryer suddenly won't heat

gas clother dryer suddenly without heat

Hi

Could you help me with this issue? My gas clother dryer doesnt seem to heat anymore. I noticed that there was a gas smell coming out of the dryer vent instead of steam. I have a Kenmore gas dryer model 110.72722101 which is about 15 years old. I removed the plastic clip (to view the burner) and noticed that the electric heat element glows but no flame ever lites. So it keeps cycling about every minute and retrys without success. Please provide suggestions. Thanks

Old 09-12-16, 12:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
What plastic clip did you remove. In back, have to take panel off there is a thermo fuse and high limit thermostat. Will need a meter to check but both should have continuity, Any opens it is bad.

Old 09-12-16, 03:29 PM
V
Unhappy thermal fuses tested

The plastic clip was in the front. When it is removed, I can see the burner.

I removed the rear panel and tested the thermal fuses. Both are fine, no open circuits there. What should I do next? I think I did this same procedure about 8 years ago but can't remember the fix. Is it a 'gas solenoid valve' that I need to replace? I forget. I remember buying a part for the gas burner and I think it was a switch. Thanks for your help!

I found the receipt. It was a gas valve coil kit. Is that it?

Old 09-12-16, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
After dryer has been off for a couple of hours will it light one time and heat, After a couple of minutes it will not light again? If it works this way you need thr coils on top of gas valve.

Old 09-12-16, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
If the igniter is glowing.....the safety and cycling stats are good.

Your problem sounds like gas coils like Pugsi mentioned.

Old 09-18-16, 04:22 PM
V
Smile Gas coils replaced

Hi all,

I want to thank you for the advice. I purchased and installed Kenmore Gas Valve Coil Kit 279834. I also took apart the fan cover and removed lint and dust from the area in this cavity near the screen. I also vacuumed any dust and lint found near the burner assembly. Overall I am impressed at how the dryer runs now, like new! This is now fixed. Thanks!

Old 09-19-16, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update. If you had mentioned that flame came on for a minute would not had you check thermostat, was a important part of diagnostic. Good job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: