gas stove top pilot vs battery - which is safer?

Old 11-23-16, 07:02 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas stove top pilot vs battery - which is safer?

We are replacing my mother's 24x21 gas stop top that is many years old. The pilot isn't working and she has accidentally left the gas on a few times. We see that everything out there seems to be electronic ignition, either battery or wired in. For safety, I thought that an always on pilot would make sure that if she did leave the gas on, the burner would light. Please let us know which you recommend and why.

thank you

Old 11-23-16, 10:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any more pilot type ranges still made.
Everything I know of uses an electronic ignition method.

There are ranges designed for "off the grid use" and use a battery ignition system but I can't see as how that would be any safer. I haven't worked on one of those but it appears you turn the burner on and hit the spark button.

Old 11-23-16, 10:44 AM
I also haven't seen a pilot light in many years.
One thing for sure, some gas knobs are far too easy to accidently rotate.

I have seen some small electric cook tops that run on a 20amp circuit. I would think about going electric.
The electric cook top will warn you when hot, and most have control lockouts.

It might be hard to convince an old cook to go from gas to electric, but it works.

Old 11-24-16, 06:37 AM
N
Thank you. I think it will be hard to convince her to switch from gas. I did find versions of a Summit Appliance stove top, one with electric or battery spark and discontinued but still available a pilot light version. She lives in New York. Do you know if there are any building codes that wouldn't allow installation of a pilot light stove top?
The house was built in the 1960's. I am not sure what they will find if I ask someone to wire the electronic spark on the gas stove which is why i was thinking about the battery version.

Old 11-24-16, 06:46 AM
I doubt if there's any law against pilot lights. They were common, water heaters still use them.

Old 11-24-16, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
I am not sure what they will find if I ask someone to wire the electronic spark on the gas stove
I thought you wanted a pilot stove ?
You can't retrofit electronic spark easily into a stove as each valve needs a switch.

Old 12-04-16, 08:50 AM
N
We went out to take a look at her stove top last weekend. Both pilot lights were working but some of the connections to the burners were misaligned or had fallen out. I put everything back together and cleaned it up a bit and everything seems to be working now. Turning the knobs enough for the gas to come on and the burners all light easily.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. since it is working, I will leave it as is for now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: