GE gas stove: strong gas smell using oven.

Old 05-28-17, 08:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE gas stove: strong gas smell using oven.

Have a new GE stove with five burner cooktop and gas oven. Have read previous posts about gas smell but since mine is new I didn't think ports would be stopped up. This stove came in a new house. Since we moved in, there has been a very strong gas smell from oven when used even though we turn on the vent fan. I don't know model number as builder didn't leave manual. Yesterday, visitors were alarmed when they smelled how strong the gas smell was. I opened the oven door and the fumes burned my eyes so badly that I had to close them for a couple of minutes before the burning subsided. We've never had a gas oven, only a gas cooktop, so I'm not sure what's going on. Can you advise?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A brand new range should not smell of un-burned gas. It may be as simple as the air shutter not correctly set or the burner may not be sitting in the orifice correctly.

Since that's a new appliance I would inform the builder and have him arrange for warranty service.

If that range has a drawer..... pull it all the way out and the model number should be on a visible tag..... usually in the upper left corner.

Old 05-28-17, 08:26 PM
A
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
was the oven even being used when this happened?

Old 05-28-17, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
there has been a very strong gas smell from oven when used even though we turn on the vent fan.
That would be a yes... the oven was on.

Old 05-29-17, 05:30 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
You have an extremely unsafe situation. Do as PJ says but I would also call manufacture technicians myself for service work and back charge the builder for any charges.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE THE UNIT!