Gas dryer taking 'too long to dry clothes'

Old 06-10-17, 09:32 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer taking 'too long to dry clothes'

I want to help a friend but don't want to fart around with this like I might if it was my own machine.

They have a 6 year old Whirlpool cabrio dryer. They said it 'takes a long time to dry clothes'.

They had a guy come out and cleaned out a load of lint from inside the machine along with cleaning the lint screen (well that was clean - they know to clean that after every load), the short exhaust run, etc. The guy said he'd mail a bill and they should pay it if that solved the problem. a) they never got a bill and b) they've called him and got no answer.

The wife thought it worked better for 1 load, but the problem persists.

I'm trying to help.

Any thoughts? The belt to the drum isn't slipping.

The gas / heat does come on - clothes are warm but not dry. I'm thinking the gas turns off sooner than needed?

Is there a sensor on the gas flame that is failing - it thinks the flame is out / turns off the gas flow after the flame is lit / runs a bit?

Is there a moisture sensor that controls the gas coming on and turns off the gas prematurely?

I'd love to help them out but they are the type to not want to have me make a bunch of trips there trying this, then that... let alone the time to order a part to find out thats not the issue?

THANKS!

Old 06-11-17, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Clean The vent to the outside. 99% of all dryer problems start there. Post model # of dryer and will see if there are any other know problems with that model. Easy way to check is disconnect vent from back of dryer and feel air flow. re connect vent and go outside and feel air flow, should be the same.

Old 06-11-17, 06:16 AM
B
Thanks. Yes, we did all that - cleaned tubing, inside dryer (area outside drum / inside dryer), filter, etc. There was a fair amount of lint inside the dryer but not anymore. But cleaning that didn't improve situation.

The model is whirlpool WGD7600XW0

Old 06-11-17, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That dryer has a problem with the nut on top of blower comes off and pulley and belt come off. Easy way to check is to take vent off the back of dryer and feel air flow, If no flow or very little when the nut has come off. Dryer comes apart from front. Can give directions if needed. Takes me about 1/2 hour to fix. Hope you did not vacuum up nut and throw it away.

Old 06-11-17, 07:21 AM
B
thanks. the husband is telling me that there's good airflow coming out the vent on the outside of the house (so showing no restrictions along vent in addition to blower working ok).

as a side note - if blower wasn't working - heat would come in then there's an upper temp switch that woudl kick in since the heat is staying in the dryer? the wife also made a point to say that the clothes never get all that hot, if she checks on it mid cycle.

With door open, I depressed door switch and turned on dryer. Let my hand hit the vanes in the drum. Tried some resistance with my hand to see if drum / belt was slipping and wasn't able to affect the rotatation. so drum's turning OK.

You haven't mentioned / googling on line about clothes that don't dry, other pages don't mention sensors / electronics that are failing? Are they that reliable?

Isn't there a sensor that sees the flame and will shut it off if no flame (heat?) detected after some amount of startup time? Could that be failing - heat comes on as it should, but then sensor doesn't see the heat, turns off gas prematurely. then system tries again in a few minutes and it repeats? Heat gets in to dry clothes but only for a few minutes at a time / clothes take a long time to dry?

And same with moisture sensor? Gives faulty reading?

I asked if they use dryer sheets - I heard that can coat the moisture sensor and cause problems. but they said they don't use them.

Again, this is at a friends. I don't want (and they will brush off my help) if I have to make several trips - try this / try that / let me get a different part. And their dryer is tucked in a corner between wall and washing machine. so disassembly will be a bit harder / more reason that they will brush off my help if I can't get it right on a 1st / 2nd max attempt : )

Old 06-11-17, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gas dryers when no air flow will heat for a minute or so. Then you will hear gas light for a short time and cut off this will continue. Clothes will take a very long time to dry. Check air flow at back of dryer first. Your dryer has a history of the problem I listed. can tell you how to fix. Sorry about thigh quarters I know all about them. Is the vent outside right behind dryer or does it have distance to travel.
Same thing will happen if vent is crushed behind dryer. Don't worry about other things until air flow is fixed.

Old 06-11-17, 08:13 AM
A
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
How do the clothes feel coming out of the washing machine? Damp as normal, or soaking wet? I chased a problem with ours a few years back, dryer not drying as it should, and it turned out that the root problem was a worn belt on the washing machine, obviously affecting the spin cycle. Took a week and a half to figure out because we don't wash clothes every day with just the two of us, but only 15 minutes or so to fix once I had it identified.

Old 06-12-17, 07:59 AM
B
OK, the air flow coming out the back of the dryer and the outside of the house are equal and sizable. And yeah, the dryer is against the wall - the solid metal tubing comes out of dryer, makes left, runs along back of dryer to outside wall on left. So a short run.

Clothes coming out of washer are damp / certainly not dripping wet.

Other ideas? The heat comes on but not for long at a time.

Old 06-12-17, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the dryer heat one time than not light until the next time you use it. It this is the case than replace the gas coils. If coil bad flame will light once, about a hour or so it will light again. Takes that long for coil to cool and start working. You can hear the flame light.

Old 06-12-17, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
The moisture sensor is only active in the AUTO DRY mode. Timed mode doesn't use it.

It sounds like you are telling us that it's only heating a few minutes at a time but over and over. That is not usually caused by the flame sensor.

There are several safety/cycling stats that sense heat. One of those could be at fault.
Without a make and model.... don't know how many are used.

It's fart around time..... pass on it.

Old 06-13-17, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pete here is model # WGD7600XW0 I think I was reading wrong. Waiting for answer if if only lights once.

Old 06-13-17, 06:31 AM
M
two thermostatic switches

Sounds to me like the operating sensor switch is not working and the flame is cutting off on the high limit sensor switch. The high limit sensor would probably reset on a lower temperature and that extends the time to dry clothes. Both switches are thermostatic and located on the box between the burner and the clothes drum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: