Having problem connecting gas grill to my house propane system

Old 07-08-17, 11:46 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Having problem connecting gas grill to my house propane system

Seven years ago I purchased a Commercial CharBroil gas grill. At the same time I installed two gas heaters in my home & I had the local propane company install two 100 pound tanks outside and run lines to the heaters and to a 4x4 post outside where I was going to place the new gas grill. I also had the propane company make up a six foot hose to connect to the grill.

Well, that grill (bought in 2010) finally expired. So I bought another CharBroil gas grill last week. Yesterday I assembled the grill and moved it to the designated area to hook it up to the house propane system.

Guess what??? The hose assembly that came with the new gas grill does not have a removable hose assembly on it like the old grill. See picture.

I called the CharBroil support number & I was told that their grills are not designed to use anything other than the 20# propane tank. They also said that hooking up the grill to the house propane system would be dangerous!

I have seen many things online about hooking up gas grills to house propane. So now I am confused.

Can I connect to the house propane system safely? And HOW do I connect with the new hose that came with the NEW grill?

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 04:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
You need the appropriate regulate to feed your grill the correct pressure. It's commonly done so that part is easy and you may already have the right regulator from your old grill but you do need to check. It is possible your old commercial grill operated at a different pressure than your new grill.

Once you've confirmed that you have the right regulator you just need to work out the hose. There are fittings and hose clamps and crimp on bands that can work. You'd cut your hose and install the fitting, probably barbed male to male and install the clamps. I often take things like that to my local propane supplier where they have the proper fittings on hand. They make everything work and I just pay for the parts without the in home service call.

Old 07-08-17, 08:16 PM
F
I did not have any regulator connected on my old grill. I just used a copper line to the 4x4 post (with a shut off valve on the post) and then a hose right to the grill--no regulator was used except the one that is on the house tank system.

The CharBroil support people said something about 11 inches of water column? Whatever that means?

How do I tell if I have the correct pressure & if it is not correct where do I get a regulator?

I checked ebay and came up with this-----http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propane-Regulator-10ft-Stainless-Steel-Braided-Hose-LP-Gas-Grill-Parts-BBQ-/252253868348?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Would that be a good choice? Even says 11"WC (I'm impressed)

Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-09-17, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
If the pipe supplying the grill is already regulated to the proper pressure than another regulator is not needed. Your first step is to find out what pressure is in the copper pipe going to your grill. Try looking at the regulator that supplies it. 10-11in is a common pressure so it's very likely that's what you have. My house is piped at 2psi so I have individual regulators at each appliance but that a bit unusual.

Old 07-09-17, 11:44 AM
F
I just looked at the regulator on the main house tank and there is no info on what the pressure is set to. The regulator looks like it is adjustable (I won't mess with that). I will stop by the Propane Company tomorrow and see what they say about the pressure and also see if they can help with the hose situation (they are the people that made the hose in 2010--but I guess there have been some new laws imposed since then).

Thanks again for your replies Fred93