1947 Clare Jewel stove: oven problems

Old 09-13-17, 06:41 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1947 Clare Jewel stove: oven problems

Sorry to hack into this thread but I cannot figure out where to post my question, newbie We have a 1947 Clare Jewel stove and the burners on top all work fine but we cannot seem to get the oven pilot light to light. Any ideas/tricks to lighting it?

Old 09-13-17, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I started a new thread for you.

On many gas appliances there is a thermocouple that sits in the flame so that as long as the pilot light is lit.... the gas to the pilot stays on. If this was the case with your oven..... there would be a button to hold in while the pilot was being lit.

Most older ovens that I've worked on...... the pilot is lit and stays lit. When the thermostat is turned to heat.... the pilot flame enlarges to heat the thermocouple attached to the safety valve. After a minute or two the main burner will light.

If your pilot won't light..... it could be one of two things....
1) the pilot orifice is plugged.
2) there could be a valve that turns off the pilot gas.

These are just general ideas as I'm not familiar with that manufacturer at all. These older gas stoves are from before my time. I do work on them but it requires me to see what I'm working on. Any pictures you can provide of the burner/pilot area or thermostat area would be helpful. There are some older gas gurus that stop by and they may be able to offer help too.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

There are some clubs where old stoves are discussed. You could try there too.
Antique Stove Heaven
Stove, Range and Oven Information

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: