GE gas stove top ignition problem

Old 09-16-17, 05:44 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE gas stove top ignition problem

Hello All,
Am new to the forum. Have a question about my stove top which I am hoping has not already been addressed in a previous thread, apologies if so.
The stove had a short at a burner valve. I ordered and replaced with a new ignition harness, plugged in same way as old one. (It is a GE Model#JGP328BE2BB). The problem is that I get the igniters to jump a spark to the burner ring, only when they are not in their respective holes. So when they are in place on the stove top there is no spark from igniter to burner. I hear the ticking at the spark module but I don't see any spark. I pull the burner and igniter out of their position and I can get the spark to jump from igniter to burner.
I have cleaned the igniter porcelain tubes and have checked that the wiring is not getting crimped when things are put back in their place. Have also tested the outlet to make sure there is not a problem with the ground.
This problem happens with all four of the burners.
One other thing, when burner and igniter are in place, I can hold insulated pliers on the burner and make the spark jump. If I bring then back to the same distance as the burner, no spark. It is almost as if there is not enough ?voltage? when the burner and igniter are in place, but enough when they are laying on the cooktop. Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-17, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,107 Votes on 1,027 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

JGP328BE?2BB is not a correct model number. You missed a letter.

That series of ranges uses a basic spark module. 120vac on the L and N terminals yields four spark outputs. Try connecting just one spark lead and igniter. See if that works.

If not.....replace the module. OEM #WB13T10046
Search around...... there are bargains to be found.

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-17, 07:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Just to assure you, all my monkeying with the stove is with gas shut off.

Hi PJmax,
Thanks for your reply.
Tonight I noticed that with just one burner connected to the spark module (and the metal top removed) that there is a spark happening sometimes from the electrode to the burner. Other times there is spark happening below the ceramic electrode holder to another part of the metal that holds the burner and electrode. At other times, there is just the clicking at the spark module.

I tried putting electrical tape at the bottom to see if that would stop the short from happening below. Didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Old 09-17-17, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,107 Votes on 1,027 Posts
Black tape won't stop the spark from jumping to ground. The job of the igniter is to form a place for the spark to jump from. You want the spark to jump from the igniter tip to the burner. Anywhere else will not spark ignition.

You should try checking each burner separately. It's common for one igniter to be cracked but not all at the same time.