Dryer Vent Tight Space - leads to basement

Old 10-08-17, 04:37 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Vent Tight Space - leads to basement

My dryer vents through the bottom middle of the wall. There is an elbow that joins the flex venting. My issue is the elbow does not sit in place and manipulating the dryer back always pushes it out of place. The space behind the dryer is extremely limited and access to secure the elbow to the lower portion is impossible from the laundry room. There is, however, access from the basement. My question is -- is it ok to thread the flexible venting down through the cut out in the floor and then attach it to the solid duct that is secured to the basement ceiling? If I can get rid of the elbow and the short duct it attaches to, that will help immensely - just don't know if it is an issue to use the flex (aluminum foil laminated wire) like this.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 04:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Flex ducting is not permitted by code to pass through walls or floors. It's a fire protection issue. If the lint catches fire flex duct will not contain it like rigid steel duct can. There are low profile duct adapters that might help.

Old 10-08-17, 06:02 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the response. Glad I asked. Currently have a Venting Close Elbow - which is difficult to get to stay. Hook the flex to that and the dryer - at this point (washer is jammed in to the left, wall on the right, shelves above) have to squeeze past the dryer and push it back. As I push it back the flex just knocks the elbow off its set. Is there a very short version of the telescope you posted? Something in similar size to the 'close elbow'.