Gas stove on propane: hard to control

Old 10-27-17, 10:32 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas stove on propane: hard to control

Hi, I recently bought a new Whirlpool gas stove and had my local propane supplier install a tank, regulator, and line to the stove. They also converted the stove from natural gas to propane, and installed and tested everything. The problem I'm having is that the flame is hard to control. By that I mean: the markings on the dial go from 2 to 10, and from about 4 to 10 the flame is large and pretty much the same size. To turn the flame down to a medium heat is very difficult since all the change happens with a very small turn of the dial (2 to 4). The company I bought the stove from says it's because all the gas stoves are made to use natural gas, and there's nothing else they can do. True? Anything else I can try? We used to have an electric stove, and switched because gas is supposed to be more controllable. My wife is ready to switch back. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-17, 12:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
I have noticed something similar with my gas stove, also converted to propane. Maybe not as bad as you describe but it is not a linear size flame from 1-10. My flames seem to be the same size from 1-3, 3-5 and then above half way it's hard to see much difference. There is a difference but the change in flame size is rather subtle.

Old 10-27-17, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, save me starting a thread. Not exactly the same, but I have one burner on a NG stove that acts just like described. Assuming an issue with the control valve.

That shouldn't be your guys problem. As I understand, converting a newer stove is as simple as turning a screw or lever on the gas valve and replacing orifices?

If what the company said about all stoves made for NG and nothing else to do, then explain why BBQ grilles can be converted from LP to NG and work just fine? If it's true, why don't they have 2 lines of stoves...LP and NG. There's plenty of people that use LP exclusively. That sounds like BS to me. Maybe certain brands have issues, but not all NG stoves.

Old 10-27-17, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
This has been a topic that has come up again and again.. Many times the valves are hardly linear when running on natural gas and they operate less linear on propane. That's just the nature of the valve design. The only thing that can be reset is the low flame adjustment. As long as the pressure to the stove is set correctly that's all your propane provider can do.

We used to have an electric stove, and switched because gas is supposed to be more controllable.
Just the opposite. Electric stoves with the heat sensor are definitely more controllable.

Old 10-28-17, 05:34 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas stove

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was hoping for a magical solution! Steve