New Stove, Smell Gas

Old 11-22-17, 04:36 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Stove, Smell Gas

Just bought a new stove last week. After the initial install by Lowe's, we used it and afterwards began to smell gas. Not very strong and not consistent, but it was there. Used to get that with our old stove we just got rid of. Walk by it and faint smell of gas. Gas company came out and found a slight leak where the line was connected to the valve. Had Lowe's come back out a couple of days later and they made sure the connection was tight and then levels the stove, since it was a little high in the front, low in the back. That was Monday. Could not smell any gas at all till today. We used the oven last night, and now today, the same subtle smell of gas is there sometimes when you walk by it.
Now, I read one time some years back that sometimes you might get a slight smell of gas off your appliances now and then and that it would be normal.Is that true or not? Should we be concerned and call Lowe's or Whirlpool, or even call the our gas supplier out to check it/ Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Last night, when the oven was on, there was no smell of gas. It didn't turn up till today.

Old 11-22-17, 04:54 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can't play around with that. Test all the connections with a spray bottle filled with soap & water. Dish liquid is fine. Look for bubbles. If you can't find the leak &/or find it & fix it yourself, shut the valve until someone can fix it for you.

Old 11-22-17, 05:34 PM
O
I did shut it off. Checked the connections and they were good. I'm wondering if the shutoff valve has gone bad. It's been on there for awhile. Though I don't know if they go bad on a gas line.I'll have to try the soapy water thing and see. We're having people over for dinner Friday, and if we don't have the stove to use, we're in deep doo doo.

Old 11-22-17, 05:42 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Soapy water is the only way to test the connections. You'll have to cater the party, if there is a leak.

Old 11-22-17, 06:13 PM
O
I did the soapy water test and saw nothing. Right now, the gas is back on and I smell nothing. But, I'm keeping a close eye on it. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-22-17, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You cannot always find small leaks with soap and water.
If you have an older valve..... it probably needs replacement.

Old 11-23-17, 09:48 AM
Should we be concerned and call Lowe's or Whirlpool, or even call the our gas supplier out to check it
Yes, you should call the gas company and the seller. Gas leaks are unacceptable and if there was any doubt the installer should have changed the valve or refused to install the range.
Around here the gas company will check for leaks at no cost 24 hours a day.

If your valve looks like the picture below there is a good chance it's faulty.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: