Viking Ignition Module- no spark

Old 01-16-19, 05:57 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Viking Ignition Module- no spark

Greetings All,

I have Viking 36 stove (VGIC367) (4 burners, 1 grill). I replaced the ignition module (PA020048 Ignition Module) about 3 months ago (had flame but kept sparking issue, and one of the burners didnt ignite). since i have replaced that module everything has been working fine till last night.

So last night we go to turn the stove on and none of the burners will ignite (there is gas flowing). The Center grill will ignite and burn, so I swapped a set of wires (Black/ Red) from one of the burners to that #5 port on the ignition module and that corresponding burner will ignite and work.

I did a bit of other testing from a different thread i saw but im not sure what im looking for (i want to really confirm before i order a new ignition module.)

I checked for 120 VAC from the following

L, N = 120
N, SW1,sw2,sw3,sw4,sw5 = 120(when i turn the knob)
I am assuming this just tells me there is power to the module but the ground pulse is not working? (is there a check?)

I checked for continuity on the red wires (from the knob to the ignition module) and Black wires (ignitor to module) and all checks out good.

Could an ignition module die that soon? (I guess i could have just gotten a bad batch)
Am I missing any other diagnostic procedure?

Thanks in advance for any input.
-Ken

Name:  spark module.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  55.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-16-19 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-16-19, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a re-ignition module so you need to make sure the proper valve switch is on the proper number and the correct burner is on the same number. It sounds like your tests are correct and the wiring is ok. When there is 120v on the proper number.... it should spark. The ground wire is needed as the spark travels to ground at the igniter.

I don't work on many Vikings but I'm aware of a problem with certain models. The problem is that the igniters put too much load on the module causing it to work to hard and fail. At one time Viking was offering a spark module and replacement igniters. Not for free but as a package. I don't know if something like this is still available but you could check with them.

So yes...... those modules do fail.

Old 01-17-19, 04:36 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Pete,

Thanks, This forum is great!

Thanks for the clarification, I will re check the ground wires today, I just find it really weird to get 120 at the proper number and get no spark. If all case fails i have a new one coming from amazon.

Old 01-17-19, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
There is only one ground. It's from the spark module to ground (chassis). It's the return path back from the individual burner igniters. When the burner is turned on.... the spark jumps to the burner which is grounded. Once the flame is established.... the flame actually completes a connection from the igniter tip to ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: