Gas dryer service valve problem

Old 10-09-23, 10:48 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer service valve problem

Hi All,

My wife and I bought a house and after two years we want to replace the previous owner's washer and dryer as they weren't working very well. We ordered on Costco, which includes delivery and installation but we have to disconnect the appliances and install the gas ourselves.

The washer came out easily but the dryer's gas valve is stuck. Please see the first photo. Do I need to clear away the paint in the back? I have seen a video on Youtube that has a similar looking valve. In the video the entire piece seems to move. What would be best and safe to use to dissolve the paint on a gas line?

Secondly, I can also turn off the gas to the main gas line but that valve also has a paint issue. The place to grip to apply leverage is the center rectangular piece, right? (I do prefer to work on the valve dedicated to the dryer if I can clear away the paint.)

My brother in law suggests buying a new valve and attaching it in between the existing gas pipe and the connection to the new dryer. This way I can just leave the stuck valve as is. Would it work and is it safe?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Old 10-10-23, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
That's an old grease valve. They get bound because the grease hardens inside the valve.
The paint isn't helping.
There's a good chance if you get it to close.... it will start leaking and then must be replaced.

If it's too hard to remove the old valve..... add a new one between the existing line and the dryer.

Yes... that is the main shut off for your gas service.
Turn the valve with a large adjustable wrench so the holes line up.
Remember.... all pilot lights will need to be relit. (water heater)

Old 10-10-23, 06:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you PJmax. Can the new valve be placed directly between the existing piping and the new dryer? In other words, do I need extra piping to be between the new valve and the new dryer?

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-23, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
I don't know your gas line setup as it's not in the picture.

Typically the gas line goes to the valve.... then either to a short piece of flex hose to the dryer or to a short piece of pipe and then a flex hose and then to the dryer. You should be able to remove the flex line and its adapter from where it's connected and install a valve inline.

You can post a picture of your setup for further help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: