Dual Energy Switch

Old 01-31-16, 05:53 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dual Energy Switch

Hi, I have an oil boiler and an electrical boiler, working as dual energy which is temperature activated to work electric, and when it gets very cold it works with oil.
my question, is is there a switch i can by that can do it manual, if so what is it called. a switch where, it could work on automatic or by manual switching between oil or electrical load.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-16, 07:58 AM
A
is there a relay 24V i can get, ot a load changer

Old 02-03-16, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We need some idea of how your system works. If a thermostat controls that function now and you bypass it for manual control how will you automatically maintain temperature ?

Old 02-07-16, 09:56 PM
A
Hi, my system is temperature controlled. that is if it was below -15C, a relay is activated to switch the load to my oil furnace, when it is above -15C, then the relay switches the load back to the electric boiler.
the house thermostats control the valves. but what I want is to control the load, of which system to use. I was wondereing if there was am automatic switching device like in this PDF.
http://www.hydroquebec.com/pdf/en/sc...bi_energie.pdf

Old 02-07-16, 11:20 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I don't understand the question. If you are on HydroQuebec's DT rate then you WILL have the equipment shown in the pdf. Without that additional equipment you cannot get rate DT. Under rate DT HydroQuebec has control over which source you use, electric or fossil fuel, it is not your choice. Further, this is not a temperature related switch but something the utility does (via their smart meter) for what could be any number of reasons.

Or are you telling us that your system has a manual changeover switch that you MUST change when the outside temperature drops below a certain temperature? That would make sense IF you had an air-to-air heat pump but would make no sense at all with an electric boiler versus a fossil fueled boiler UNLESS the utility charges more for electricity when the temperature drops below a certain point.

At any rate, with the information you have provided it seems to me that any low-ranging thermostat sensing outside air temperature and having S.P.D.T. contacts should work just fine.

Old 02-08-16, 08:33 AM
A
That's exactly what I need a SPDT. The thing is that I just bought the house, and I think that they did a connection, with a relay, that is not really standard, it is temperature activated by hydro yes, but in case of emergency, if one system false, due to a blown fuse on electrical boiler, or dirty filter on the oil boiler, I would want a temporary option with a switch such such as the link.

Thermolec | Plenum Heater

Old 02-08-16, 09:35 AM
T
Received 16 Votes on 12 Posts
The thermostat can be used as your over ride by simply adjusting it way up or way down from it's optimal setting. That will either cause the system to use Electric or Fossil fuel.
Don't over think this.

Old 02-08-16, 12:29 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
tomf63 wrote:

The thermostat can be used as your over ride by simply adjusting it way up or way down from it's optimal setting. That will either cause the system to use Electric or Fossil fuel.
Depends entirely how it is set up. Unless the changeover switch is integrated into the room thermostat raising the room thermostat to the top setting will have no effect upon which energy source is used.

antfrank, you really need to address this concern with the utility. If the utility switches your heating system to the alternate (fossil) fuel, most likely because of excessive usage on their system, if you were to manually switch back to electricity it could be contrary to the rules that govern the utility controlled changeover.

What I mean by this is that more likely as not you receive a special lower electrical rate for allowing the utility to shut off the electricity to the boiler under THEIR control and for pretty much any reason they see fit. If you were to bypass that ability of their control you may be subject to paying a much higher rate for any electricity used during the curtailment period.

We have a similar arrangement in the US although rarely on a residential basis. Commercial and industrial boilers use natural gas as the primary fuel but when the gas utility cannot supply the fuel, for any reason, be it a lack of pipeline capacity or an actual lack of supply, the "interruptible" customers are notified they MUST switch to their alternate fuel, usually fuel oil, or they will be charged a premium, often ten times their regular cost, for any gas used over a bare minimum for the oil burner ignitors.

For this reason I cannot advise you further on how to bypass the utility's control.