Want to upgrade oil burner in a old furnace...

Old 03-21-16, 02:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to upgrade oil burner in a old furnace...

Hello All,
I have a old oil furnace in my attic crawl space, I've been having trouble with it lately kicking off and not restarting but that's a separate issue altogether... it's made by Bard, a horizontal model...and has a older style burner attached...I see that I can buy a new Beckett for around $300 but I don't know if I would be able to install a new style into an old furnace...it was made back in the early 70's...

If I were to just remove the old burner assembly and plug in a new more efficient model would there be any issues I could run into for doing so?...I have it removed now for troubleshooting purposes and can measure the fire box depth etc if this matters...

It's gonna cost me to fix the old one so I was thinking that maybe I should just replace it, get better gas "mileage" and kill two birds with one stone...

Thanks for any advice in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
In a '70s vintage furnace I wouldn't spend the money on a new burner. Bard made good equipment but it's 40+ years old & the heat exchanger is likely on it's last leg.
Additionally, it's now illegal to install an oil fired appliance in an attic in most areas.

I would suggest a 2 stage 80% gas furnace. There are lots of potential problems with condensing (90%+) gas furnaces in attics. Some manufacturers actually state "do not install in an area where temperatures can drop below freezing".