Armstrong gas furnace main blower noise

Old 04-17-16, 01:13 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Armstrong gas furnace main blower noise

Well here i go again! i get one thing half fixed......, And this thing other part starts making a noise- hoping to hear from anyone who knows... this home furnace,,,, Problem is this when you turn the furnace on ...it goes thru the cycle of the firing ...and the smaller fan kicks in pretty soon ...HERE is where noise is. If lay your ear on the heat register in the floor above....you can hear ...when the large squirrel cage fan kicks in. ....There sounds like loose metal parts for a couple seconds...banging around ,Then it stops the noise and runs quietly and smoothly. Once in awhile the noise....sounds as definite clunk ,You can hear it in any room, My furnace works great .. in all other aspects, If i stick my finger in side the cage very hard to get at, i can get a small clunk ,in the cage fan moving around slightly. This furnace could wake the dead sometimes.

Any ideas !please throw them at me. thanks very very much for the help ahead of time, bob s

this furnace is in really good condition and has been kept clean in the burner area new flame throwers 2 years ago.

Old 04-17-16, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,512 Votes on 1,398 Posts
It sounds like the motor may be loose. Really hard to offer any help...... you need to climb in there and determine what's loose.

Old 04-17-16, 03:44 PM
B
I am a bit afraid of knocking some wires loose. Then i'll be in a pickle.. right quick. but You are right... {taking the fan assembly out} should have been the way i worded my thread. bob s

Old 04-19-16, 09:32 AM
B
Bad news New furnace needed. $3200.00 installed how bout that?

Old 04-19-16, 04:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a terrible noise from my furnace a few years ago. Dismantled it and found a big piece of paper that one of the kids had slipped through the return duct. It made such a racket I was sure the motor was heading south. Maybe you could luck out like I did.

Old 04-19-16, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
If the furnace needs to be replaced...... it sounds like the heat exchanger was bad.

Old 04-20-16, 03:57 AM
B
The heat guy was here yesterday, He showed me the crack in the heat exchange, above one of the flame -"tunnels"- openings for lack of a better word.When i started digging out to paper work and receipt,,, of purchase from 22 years ago of this;Ultra SX 90 Air Ease' brand .I found where the exchanger is guaranteed for life of the unit ....to the original purchaser.....that being me. Anyone ever try a claim on this sorta thing?. They should honor it i would think? a The new units are stainless steel... Your thoughts very welcome. good day at ya bob s

Old 04-20-16, 04:41 PM
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
I found where the exchanger is guaranteed for life of the unit
I have two thoughts. One is the unit is deceased. The second is that the manufacturer may provide a replacement heat exchanger, but the labor will be on you. I'd bite the bullet and get a new furnace unless you can find somewhere that the manufacturer will cover both parts and labor.

Old 04-20-16, 10:54 PM
Group Moderator
In order to get the manufacturer to cover labor too you'd have to start calling the company and work your way up the ladder until you got someone to approve it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. That being said.... don't hold your breath.

At this point in time.... even if you could get the exchanger for free.... you probably wouldn't find a company to even change it for you based on the age of the furnace.

Old 04-21-16, 04:15 AM
B
I am needing a new furnace,..but not much for a battle with anyone now {age}.They would probably find a way......to slither out of their warranty.The new ones are quite abit more effcient plus other perks. "old body" new heart in my furnace,Jus don't look good for this exchange to be replaced,being ethical in my thoughts,i will see what there comments are...... on this, then do whatever has to be done thanks all for the help bob s

Old 04-22-16, 04:31 AM
B
Was pondering this situation and this warranty. Air Ease- said they would cover the warranty. But that would be MORE expensive tearing the old furnace down and putting it back together-new exchange included. than the furnace is worth.Like putting a young heart in an old body. Works good; but the other old parts are wearing out around it.I need a- "source of comparative information" on the different makes of furnace, Air Ease is a good furnace i think.what do you think.?? bob s good weekend to you

Old 04-23-16, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Before going for a new furnace, I would get an estimate of the cost of replacing the heat exchanger. On some Air Ease models it's only about a two hour job. On the other hand, some can take the biggest part of a day.

Old 04-24-16, 06:52 AM
B
Air ease contacted me and ask for the necessary paperwork. It was a done deal. We got to thinking about it..... and the firm doing the work-said.. they will get more money into my furnace taking it all apart. The furnaces, are much more efficent. And the old parts on the furnace after 22 years are going to need repair soon. We think it might be throwing money at a dead horse, in the long run. So! new furnace going in. Thank you much for the information anyway bob s

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: