Gas Fireplace / Exhaust & Venting

Old 05-17-16, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Fireplace / Exhaust & Venting

. We converted to Propane Heat Dec / 2014, New Furnace and Provision made (3 Extra Taps) for any Additional Gas Appliance down the road.. We are Exploring the idea of a Gas Fireplace in a large (25' X 13') room in the Basement... Two possible locations , either in a corner or along an inside wall .. The Inside wall is a cement block wall which backs onto an "L" shaped Furnace / Utility Room....

My last Query with the Installation of a Fireplace , to Exhaust & Vent the Gasses.. Can we "T" into the Existing Exhaust & Vent Pipes leading from the Propane Furnace ?? Or does it have to be Separate ?? The White Piping is PCV and Heat Rated for Exhausting & Venting (Stamped as Such right on the Pipe).... Note: Inquiring Only as it is An Extreme of the Extremes to be Playing with Gas Fitting / Installations here in Ontario,Canada (UnLicensed).. Cheers Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-16, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think the pros will check in later, but the PVC venting is for a high (90+) seer heat exchanger, meaning less than 10% of the heat created in the heat exchanger is exhaust. Your fireplace is not that efficient, I don't believe.

Old 05-18-16, 05:53 AM
@ Chandler...Ok.. Under the Assumption the Fireplace Burns Hotter than the Main Household Furnace ?? And we'd have to Install a separate Exhaust / Chimney .. (Asking Only) Can / Could we install the Fireplace on an Inside Wall ?? The Backside of this wall is the same Ceiling Space the Present Furnace (PVC) Exhaust & Vent Pipe run to the Outside ?? Or would be Best taking the Shortest Route , through an Ouside Wall ?? Cheers Thanks

Old 05-18-16, 06:59 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I have never seen, or even heard of a fireplace that could use PVC venting. Best would be a "direct vent" that has a double flue that extends through an outside wall. The hot gases exit through the inner pipe and are cooled (somewhat) by the incoming combustion air through the outer pipe. That would require placing the fireplace on an outside wall.

They do make fireplaces that use the double flue arrangement that exhaust upwards but you would need a clear chaseway to the roof to install one on an inside wall.

Old 05-18-16, 07:47 AM
@ Furd... The White PVC Type Exhaust & Vent Piping is Rated / Stamped Heat Resistent.. It has a series of Coded Letters and Gas Vented Type all along the pipe... Whatever the Installation Regs are here in Ontario,Canada it's Approved / Accepted..

Old 05-29-16, 03:44 AM
B
The Exhaust on the Furnace uses an Inducer blower, to push out the exhaust, I would not connect a Fireplace vent to this exhaust.