Gas valve replacement

Old 10-17-16, 02:05 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas valve replacement

I just bought 30 years old home. Trying to start furnace, but pilot valve will not open. Valve is VR844 P1017. I Tested pilot solenoid coil and it is bad. As this valve is absolute, I found closest replacement VR8304 P4504/U. Will this new valve work with my old ignition module S86G ? I did some reading on line, and looks like S86G is sending 10V dc to solenoid coils to open. Do I need to change my ignition module to S86E or S86F ? As I understand, these are controlling valve coils with 24V ac.
I know this is old furnace, but I'm not ready to spend $3000 on new furnace yet.Trying to get it fix to get me through this winter. I called couple hvac contractors, they saying, furnace is too old, not worth to repair it. I'm electrician myself with many years of troubleshooting experience, so I think I can handle electrical part of this problem.
Thanks in advance in any help.

Old 10-17-16, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I recommend against people changing out their own gas valve. The gas valve needs to be adjusted to provide the correct amount of gas for the furnace to burn.

And an old furnace needs to be inspected to be sure that the heat exchanger is safe to use.

This is not a suitable DIY task, in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: