Carrier Corporation 58PB100150JA Burner

Old 10-23-16, 06:42 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Carrier Corporation 58PB100150JA Burner

I need to replace the burner, looking online it is obsolete? Where can I find a replacement burner?

Old 10-23-16, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Usually when the parts are no longer available it's time to replace the furnace.

This looks like a horizontal standing pilot furnace 66% efficient from 1988.

Old 10-23-16, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These burners were used very widely in millions of Carrier furnaces.

The burner ports are probably rusted out, right? That's the main reason they need to be replaced.

I'd recommend replacing all the burners, not just one or two.

A much more common furnace than the one you have that used the same burners is the Carrier/Payne/Bryant/Dayton Model GAW furnace.

You can get replacement burners from a Carrier/Payne/Bryant/Dayton distributor, or they are often available to buy on Ebay.

You should have a good repairman inspect the heat exchanger for holes and cracks before buying new burners. On an outdoor furnace that old, a failed heat exchanger is a real risk and possible danger. Unfortunately, MANY repair services will be more interested in selling you a new furnace than honestly determining whether the one you have is repairable.

Old 10-23-16, 01:29 PM
Here's an ebay listing that includes many of these burners for sale:

carrier burners | eBay

Old 10-23-16, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Here's an ebay listing that includes many of these burners for sale:
I spent 45 minutes looking for his burner.
I went thru the eBay offerings and found none that are the same as his.

I'm pretty thorough with my searches.

Old 10-23-16, 06:00 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Back in 2004 my Payne furnace needed three new burners because the metal between the slots was missing. I found that new burners were available...at a cost of about $200 each including shipping. That would mean that I had $600 invested in a furnace that was 17 years old, a furnace that I could REPLACE with a brand new similar model for $750. Uh, uh, not going that route, either the replacement burners OR the same old low efficiency furnace.

I cobbled a fix that got me through the winter of 2004-2005 reasonably safely and then started researching new furnaces. I ended up buying a two-stage with variable speed blower. The cost was just under three grand including installation but I have not regretted it one minute. My gas bill dropped about 20% the first winter with the new furnace.

Old 10-24-16, 11:03 AM
Hello PJ Max---

Looks like the common Carrier burner for the time, such as:

Carrier Payne Bryant Furnace Ribbon Burner 24.5" long 310092-751 | eBay

Am I wrong?

Old 10-24-16, 11:06 AM
Hello Furd,

In my opinion you were ripped off by someone quoting you $200/burner.

All too common I'm afraid.

All too many heating contractors have a "repair" service mainly to tell people they need new furnaces, whether they do or not. Charging exorbitant prices for parts is a good way to induce people to replace repairable equipment, just as you describe.

Old 10-24-16, 12:54 PM
F
I was not quoted $200 per burner by some "repairman" that came to look at the furnace. Rather, I used the model number with an Internet search to look for replacement burners. They may have been as cheap as $160 with $40 for shipping (each), I don't recall as it was more than ten years ago. The parts company may have been trying to rip me off but since the price was published (I didn't have to ask for it) they would have been trying to rip off anyone buying the burners. As I recall there was only ONE company out of at least a dozen I searched that even had the burners.

The idea of being ripped off has some merit in my mind after looking at the absolutely astronomical prices charged for refrigerator parts from several on-line parts distributors. Imagine, over $20 for the silly die-cut piece of cardboard used to enclose the lower back section of a refrigerator.

Regarding your eBay link...that is similar to the burners I had. Notice that burner is USED. In my case there were several places on each of the three burners that were missing the "fin" between slots, some had an open space of more than 1/2 inch and often several in each burner. The furnace was often lighting off with a bang so hard it would displace the friction-fit outer door. I made a stop-gap repair (that I won't detail) and it then lit off smoothly but it did NOTHING to improve the efficiency of the furnace.

And if I had replaced the burners for a reasonable price what would have been next to fail? The heat exchanger, the gas valve, the blower motor? Sometimes replacing parts is not the most economical repair when balanced over the expected life of the appliance.

Old 10-25-16, 11:19 AM
B
Thanks for replies everyone. Useful information.
I have to say I'd avoid replacing the whole thing right now. My home got flooded in recent "historic flood of Louisiana" and I'm short about $70k to restore my home.

Old 10-25-16, 12:18 PM
Hello Furd,

When I worked as a repairman for a gas utility 20 odd years ago, we used to sell those Carrier burners for about $16 apiece and install them for a $35 labor charge.

Usually I find the best prices to be on line these days, because it's so easy for people to shop for a good price. Buy parts from a repairman on a cold day and he can probably get whatever he asks, and he may have been carting that part around for years as inventory.

>

Those burners tended to corrode out if they were in damp basements or outdoors. If they were in a dry area, they wouldn't have significant rust issues. I would presume anyone selling used burners wouldn;t be selling rusted out junk, but burners that were still in good condition. That would be just fine, in my opinion.

Your burners were obviously completely shot and needed replacement. More important than the delayed ignition issue, they were probably making LOADS of carbon monoxide. That will cause the heat exchanger to become plugged with soot, after which the CO pours into the dwelling.

Those old Carrier furnaces needed to have the pilot orifice cleaned every two or three years, the burners cleaned and inspected and the heat exchangers checked for safety. I still use one of those furnaces in my rental house, and it continues to operate fine after being installed in 1992.

The burners are still good as new since it's a counterflow furnace located in the main floor of the house, taking combustion air from the dwelling space.

Old 10-26-16, 06:01 PM
B
I finally got up to the attic looking at those burners. I had HVAC repairmen replacing the AC outside unit here, they told me my burners need to be replaced. I do not see what they saw, the burners look OK to me.

What made them to tell me the burners are shot?

Old 10-26-16, 06:42 PM
F
Since none of us have seen even a picture of the burner(s) in question how could we possibly know what is wrong with them?

If you do not trust the opinion of the technician that DID see them I suggest that you ask him EXACTLY what is wrong with them. AND, get a different tech for a second opinion.

Old 10-26-16, 07:44 PM
B
Thanks, I realize my post wasn't informative. I'll leave this for this winter as it is.

Old 10-27-16, 11:25 AM
The usual cause of burner failure is that they rust out.

If you take the burners out to examine them (which you must do), you can easily see that the burner ports near the front of the burner are enlarged compared with the burner ports at the back of the burner, In especially bad cases, the burner ports will be corroded away completely and you will just have a big gap in the burner.

Corroded out burners make lots of carbon monoxide and soot, which will plug up the heat exchanger and cause the burner flames to start coming out the front of the furnace.

As a repairman, my bias was to SHOW homeowners what was wrong with their furnace when they were interested and showing them was practical to do, which often it is. I would have shown you the burners and explained what the problem was so that you could see it for yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: