Lennox Pulse - Blower will not run

Old 11-16-16, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox Pulse - Blower will not run

Hello all,
Same symptoms as http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...-wont-run.html

Basically starts up fine, but blower does not kick in. Took blower capacitor and had it tested. Was told that it tested to spec. So, what's my next troubleshoot? This is my GF's furnace so I dont have eyes on it at the moment. I was thinking of taking the blower unit out and have the blower itself tested. Also, i cannot get the blower to run if I switch the thermostat from auto to run. Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Blue

Old 11-16-16, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
The next logical step is to see if the fan is getting power. If the blower door is open.... power is removed from the furnace via the safety switch.

Are you aware of the problems with these furnaces ? Many have been recalled due to heat exchangers gone bad allowing CO to enter the house. It should be professionally checked if it hasn't been done recently.

A CO detector or two should also be installed.

On edit: If you have the variable speed motor..... it's time to replace the furnace.

Old 11-17-16, 08:36 PM
The next logical step is to see if the fan is getting power.
Would this be something I'd be able to do. Steps involved?

Old 11-17-16, 09:05 PM
R
Received 109 Votes on 103 Posts
Do you have and know how to use a meter? Are you ok working around live electricity?

Old 11-17-16, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
There will be a control board inside your furnace. If you take and post a nice clear shot of it we can guide you where to check. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 11-17-16, 09:23 PM
Have this multimeter. Little usage and knowledge about it. Yes, comfortable working around live electricity.

Old 11-17-16, 09:26 PM
Probably wont be seeing the furnace till Sat night, possibly Sun. Will take and post pics asap.
Thanks,

Old 11-17-16, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
That meter will work.

Ok... while you're there... check for the model # too.
Is that a Lennox G21Q4 furnace ?

Old 11-17-16, 09:45 PM
Group Moderator
A little help with your meter.

Yellow area - AC voltage. You'll be using the 200v scale for checking the power to the blower.
Red area - current draw area. Not used by most homeowners.
Blue area - DC voltage
Green area - ohms and continuity. The small green section is an audible continuity checker that can be used on a non power circuit.
You'll use the red and black probe sockets. The one I X'ed is the current draw socket.

Name:  meter.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  46.0 KB

Old 11-17-16, 09:48 PM
R
You never really answered the question about being knowledgeable on the pulse. When was the last time the heat exchanger was pressure tested? Flapper changed?
There's a lot of pulse furnaces still running but the vast majority have died and are long gone. A cracked heat exchanger presents the risk of death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 11-17-16, 10:11 PM
Girlfriend bought the house with Pulse. Has not been serviced since owning. Heating and cooling worked fine last season.
A little more info on blower issue. This past summer GF informed me that the condensor was running, but no cold air was being blown through the registers. I told her to turn AC off at thermostat. Temps never got hot enough to turn AC back on so we both kind of forgot about it going down. Just noticed the problem again when we tried to heat the house a few days ago.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 11-18-16, 05:45 AM
R
It may be time to call and have it serviced by a Lennox tech. Checking the heat exchanger in one of these requires specialized tools so don't expect a $39.99 tune up special to know what to do.
By the amount of failure these units see, and the speciized parts and tools they require, there will be none left in a few more years.
Checking the heat exchanger and performing routine maintenance is critical in these furnaces so please don't brush it off. Carbon monoxide is deadly. It could "work fine" but still leak CO into the space. Regular CO detectors will not go off until CO levels get high enough to cause brain damage. That's why so many call them body alarms-by the time they go off you may already be passed out or dead.
You'll have to check to see if your even getting voltage to the blower.

Old 11-18-16, 08:52 PM
Model number: GSR14Q3-80-2

Old 11-20-16, 09:39 PM
R
Getting cold. Any luck? Find any old time Lennox guys to test the heat exchanger?

Old 11-24-16, 07:39 PM
Suspecting a blower issue I took the blower capacitor in and had it checked out on the 21st. It checked out to specs.
On the 22nd I removed the (2) bolts that secured the blower assembly and unplugged a single plug to take and have the motor tested. Tested bad. Left to have repaired.
Picked up blower assembly on the 23rd after work, installed it. All is well with heat.

As for testing the exchanger, I've been reading up a bit on it. Located test kit literature here. Along with a video I found online, I believe I should be able to test.
Flapperwise, if it's in cleanable condition, I'll clean it. It worn and tattered, I'll locate a replacement.

Thanks for the help guys/gals!!!

Last edited by Bluestraw; 11-24-16 at 07:41 PM. Reason: URL repair

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: