Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

I absolutely need to use a common wire to install my Nest...which is the common?

I absolutely need to use a common wire to install my Nest...which is the common?

Old 12-07-16, 06:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There's a lone blue wire upstairs where the thermostat is that is unused; the other four wires are used. Downstairs, at the furnace, there are three blue wires. I've labeled 'em for you. I have no idea which blue wire is the wire that's going upstairs. I'm assuming it is wire 1, because the insulated bundle of wires that wire 1 is in are all going to terminals, so that makes me think those are all the wires going upstairs to the thermostat. It could be wire 2, but for some reason I feel like it's not because it appears there are three unused wires in that bundle. I dont think its wire 3 since that one goes into a wire nut, but I don't know. I just can't make heads or tails of this. Is there any possible way to figure out which wire is the one I need to connect to the C terminal? Here are a bunch of other assorted pics of the furnace in case it helps. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-16, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
It is wire 1...... you're hired.

Here's how you can be sure. Your stat MUST have a Y, R, G, and W connection.
Since there is only one wire on G and one wire on W..... just follow them to the proper cable.

Old 12-08-16, 07:15 AM
A
Can i just hook that last wire onto the screw too or do I have to splice it? They're pretty thin wires. And thanks a ton! I do believe that's wire #1. Weird problem I had with my old thermostat that I thought was working fine last night: seems to be doing what the new thermostat was doing and turning on and off. It almost like the system doesn't wanna get past 68 degrees. Odd.

Old 12-08-16, 09:00 AM
S
The cable you have circled is the one going to the stat. Yes you can put it on the C terminal.

Last edited by skaggsje; 12-08-16 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added
Old 12-08-16, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,121 Votes on 1,041 Posts
No problem with several wires under one screw terminal..... just work carefully.

Some of the hifi stats state that they are power robbing and don't need a C connection but I haven't found them to be reliable running without the common connection.