ITT-General PG9 Pilot Assembly Replacement

Old 02-16-17, 01:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ITT-General PG9 Pilot Assembly Replacement

I've got a an old floor furnace with a B60Y84H Gas Valve (General Controls) that the pilot assembly (ITT-General PG9) finally failed when it sheared due to corrosion. The thermopile that was attached only had one of the two leads attached to the valve because the valve has only one connection for the Pilot Generator (the other was clipped back). My question is can I get a thermopile and use it with one of the two leads connected (with the other taped/clipped off) to not have to replace the valve that's still functional? It's connected to a General Controls T-80 (250mV) thermostat which is also functional. I've purchased a Honeywell Q314A4586 Pilot Burner but likely will return it for a Robertshaw 1820 Series Pilot Uni-Kit which they market as their recommended replacement for the hard-to-find ITT-General PG9 type pilots. Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images     
Old 02-16-17, 02:21 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Pilot Generator

I've worked on thousands of those systems over the years. General Controls was bought by White Rodgers and now the PG-9 is a little different. I would go to EBay and find the same as you have. I'm on my phone and I don't see your pics.
I saw your pics on my iPad and it appears you're missing the two terminals that accept one thermostat wire and one PG wire. Wire the new one with one thermostat wire and one PG wire on the valve. The remaining thermostat and PG wires twist together, now you have a complete circuit.

Last edited by mbk3; 02-16-17 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-16-17, 05:19 PM
M
I've been retired for a while and kind of lost track of parts availability. After a google search I see where your style is still available. Possibly just replace generator if you think the pilot burner is still in good shape.

Old 02-16-17, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,334 Upvotes on 2,993 Posts
Yup.... the splice plate is missing off the top of the valve.

Name:  20170210_180214.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 02-17-17, 09:48 AM
Thanks for your feedback. Pilot Burner is what broke. Will look for PG-9/Assembly and valve splice plate if I can find that. Do any of you have any concerns if I reconnect as it was, with only one lead of the generator/thermopile attached?

Old 02-17-17, 10:26 AM
M
You don't need the splice terminals. It is not not wired to anything. Merely a convenience terminal to connect two wires. I might add since you are working on this, remove the copper tube on the valve and make sure it is clear. It is the vent line for the valve and if it becomes plugged valve won't open

Old 02-17-17, 10:39 AM
Ahh, got it. Thanks mbk3. Gives the option based on the terminals type, yes? I'll also clean the small vent line. Now, back to the pilot/generator assembly. Considering the lack of readily available parts, can I hook up a Robertshaw 1820 Series Pilot Uni-Kit to the valve with one of the leads off the pile to the valve? I obviously don't have a wiring diagram for the Valve nor the Thermostat but I could hook up the "hot" line off the thermopile to the PG on the valve and the thermostat leads (which there are two) to the PG and TH connections?

Old 02-17-17, 11:45 AM
M
You have four wires. Two tstat and two PG. one of each on the valve and the other two wire nut together. And yes the RObertshaw will work. Google Pg-9 and you will find your exact match.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: