Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

How much to replace a burner on a 1947 Holly Commercial Heater ( floor unit)?

Old 02-19-17, 09:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have a 1947 Holly Commercial heater which was giving off carbon monoxide. It is under the house. The repair man wants $2500 to repair the burner and clean the unit and ducts. After much back and forth he agreed to $1300.

Still too much in my eyes but I have called 7 shops and not finding anyone willing to work on it.

Do you know of anyone in Southern California? What is a fair price to pay? Where does one buy parts these days?

Thank you. We are senior citizens.

Beth

Old 02-19-17, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I understand you're on a fixed income and money is probably tight but a heating unit over 70 years old should be replaced..... not repaired.

I could never recommend spending that much money on a unit of that age.

That unit needs a heat exchanger which I'm quite sure is no longer available.
That would mean the tech is going to patch it.

Have you considered having the unit replaced ?

Old 02-20-17, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

I agree.

The odds are that the $1300.00 repair would not last long and may not even be safe.
The money you would spend on a patch job would go a long way as a deposit on a new furnace.

The fact that no one wants to work on it might be a clue!

Old 02-20-17, 05:33 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Your unit had lived out it's service life long ago. That unit likely isn't even to code anymore. At this point you should be replacing the unit rather then repairing.

Old 02-20-17, 01:34 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The only burner repair to the that unit I can think of: Remove and wash. Clean pilot and if the heat exchanger is not restricted or cracked that should reduce carbon monoxide to probably zero or close to it. As far as cleaning ducts that are that old I wouldn't. When you decide to replace the furnace consider replacing the ducts at that time. Cost to pull and clean burners should be just a service call rate in my opinion, unless there is something such as location that would increase cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: