Turning off gas valve

Old 02-28-17, 11:45 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Turning off gas valve

So I wanna disconnect my gas line that leads to my outdoor bbq for a few mins to rearrange the mounting location obvious first thing i should do is turn of the main gas valve then is there anything else I should do before proceeding? What about the gas that's already inside the pipe should i drain that out first through the line that's feeding my bbq? I also plan to shut down power through my electric panel.

Old 03-01-17, 12:21 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Electric has nothing to do with it. There is nothing really to drain when you turn off the gas. What little gas is in the line is harmless and no way to really get it out. After all it isn't a liquid. However you will probably need to bleed the air out of the line after you turn it back on. Note you may not need to shut off the main valve. The line to the grill may have a valve where it is connected.

Old 03-01-17, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
There should be a valve by BBQ. If not when you have disconnected I would install one.

Old 03-01-17, 06:21 AM
M
Thanks for the tip. I plan on putting a gas cap over the valve instantly once I unplug the valve. The amount of time I will have the main valve turned off would be in the matter of 1-3 mins will I still need to bleed out the air? Just wondering why is it necessary to bleed out the air?

Old 03-01-17, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,954 Upvotes on 3,547 Posts
You will contain more gas and allow less air in but you'll still need to purge air from the line after reconnecting. Nothing to be overly concerned with.

The air will purge quickly with a BBQ.

You will need to relight any appliances with a pilot light.

Old 03-01-17, 09:01 AM
M
So once I'm done and reconnected the lines to purge the air I can just simply turn on my outdoor bbq and let the gas/air purge from there?? How long should I do that for?? The only app i have that runs on gas is the dryer and furnace...I know the furnace has to be relit with that hold the pilot button reset method but does the my gas dryer have to be relit as well?

Old 03-01-17, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Dryer does not have a pilot light and does not need anything done to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: