Gas furnace wet: what are the dangers?

Old 04-05-17, 01:02 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace wet: what are the dangers?

I found my basement filled with water this morning. There didn't look to be more than a few inches on the floor, but 350 gallons later...

The house was built in 1997 and it has the original furnace (Consolidated Industries, model USA 054 NH3R). When the house was built, they didn't pour a floor in the basement. The floor was poured at a later date. That made the bottom of the furnace sit flush with the new floor, as they poured around the furnace. I thought code was there is to be 18" of clearance between bottom of furnace and the floor? There is a empty space under the furnace that filled with water obviously.

I started sucking up the water with a 10 gallon shop vac. After 200 gallons, I started vacuuming the water under the furnace. I sucked 150 gallons from just under the furnace and the water still touches the bottom of the furnace. It just keeps refilling.

Can water get into the furnace and cause a danger? Can a rotted bottom to a furnace cause a danger? Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 04-05-17, 01:06 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the furnace still operating ?

Old 04-05-17, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
As far as I know there is no code, unless it is something local, requiring a furnace to be elevated other than in a garage or other place where there may be combustible vapors.

Old 04-08-17, 01:31 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
If the water didn't get to any of the electronics or motor it should be fine,certainly not an ideal situation to have the furnace flush with floor,usually there is some sort of short leg on the base to elevate it a bit or level it,I doubt it is dangerous just poor judgement.
Geo

Old 04-08-17, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I thought code was there is to be 18" of clearance between bottom of furnace and the floor?
There is no code like that I'm aware of. The furnace normally sits directly on a usually non combustible surface.

You need to remove the lower (blower) door and see if the blower motor went under water.
If it did... there could be trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: