Identifying Issue in Amana Gas Furnace

Old 11-24-17, 11:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Identifying Issue in Amana Gas Furnace

Hello,

I am by no means experienced at all in heating repair. I have an Amana gas furnace (as far as the model #, I can only find anything on the documents that go with it, which say GMH8 & GDH8 gas-fired warm air furnace) that is not acting right.

The main issue is this - if the heater is already heating the home, it will heat to the proper temp and switch off normally. If it tries to start AGAIN after that without my intervention, it will attempt several times, and eventually just blow cold air.

What I have found out by tinkering with it is this: if I remove the top panel with the heater switched off (there is a power switch on the wall next to it), and switch off the gas control switch until the orange light near the burners is on for 10 seconds (but hasn't yet seemed to "request" gas), then switch it back on at that point, the gas will come on, and the home will start to heat up nicely. If I do not do this process each time, the heater will fail to start properly, attempt several times, and then blow cool air as stated above.

I hope I'm not being confusing and am happy to provide any photos or details that would help you understand my rookie question better.

I am mainly wanting to find out if this is something a novice could fix themselves, and if my suspicion that the device with the gas switch on it is likely the issue.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: I saw the other info I am supposed to include. I do not honestly know all of the answers to these questions. I will write here what I do know. I am located in Georgia, and this is a gas heater. The thermostat is a Honeywell (I don’t have the model for this either, I’m sorry). I am not sure how old this heater is, but it looks really old.

Old 11-25-17, 04:34 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
When this happens and it blows cold air, check the blower access panel for a flashing light. Note the flash pattern, remove the panel and check the schematic to see what it means.

Post back.

This will tell us what needs to be checked.

The full model number should be on a rating plate inside the cabinet.

Do you have a meter that can check ac voltage and resistance?

It's unlikely to be the gas valve. it's more likely to be a insufficient draft issue or problem sensing the flame.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: